El Grande mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I have been trying to get a mod of the El Grande that I like, and this is my best to date.

It is crotch Walnut with sap wood with pocket clip and figured sap wood centerband and final. The rounded top of the final started as a mistake cover up, but I think I like it. Still a couple of issues with this but I am pretty happy.

Comment and critiques are welcome.

2005111201411_WalnutElGrandeOpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice! I've made similar pens, and I know getting the end of the main body shaped just right so that the cap posts is a trial and error affair. As often as not I forget the posting altogether - the pen is large enough for most. I actually don't like the shape very much back there, unless it is broken up by something which is exactly what you were trying to avoid :) I'm also concerned about wear there - you get scratch marks quickly... one one I used I got worse...

vick

Thanks every one I appreciate the comments. This one is a little wierd, most of the time when I look at it I love it other times I hate it. I am hoping the fact I get such strong fellings for it is a good thing[:)]

Derek

I really enjoy seeing others' creativity, but perhaps I don't look at enough pictures. I've been trying for months to figure out how to eliminate the 'kit' aspects of penmaking, and this is really a breakthrough approach, for me. My pens by duPont, dunhill, and others are elegant in the harmony of the components, and this is a real challenge for penmakers using the vendors' kits. Congratulations!!!!

vick

Bruce - It is one piece of wood for the body. It is where the sap wood is turning to heart wood in a Walnut crotch.
Derek - glad you like it I suggest looking through people albums here and at the Pen Makers Guild ( http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/galindex.htm )for ideas. Many people are doing some spectacular work at eliminateing the "kit". I would list some of my favorites, but I would not want to make them blush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom