El Grande: DCE,RC,RCC,P

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bjackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjackman

Translated, Double closed end, recessed clip, recessed cap coupler, postable.
Made from Blue dyed Maple Burl & Cocobolo (I'll let you decide which part is the cocobolo [:eek:)] )

Finished a few weeks ago, but hadn't gotten around to taking a photo until now. (sorry, not the greatest photo, it had to be quick and I didn't use my tent setup, or clean off fingerprints or lint)
Comments and critique welcome as always.

200732923817_blue%20maple%20sm.jpg

200732923836_blue%20maple%20posted%20xsm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Bill: We really can't say too much about the pen because the photo is not very good. Your camera is "seeing" the light background and setting the exposure for it. Because of that you have a very nice exposure for the light background; but the pen is way too dark. If you have a photo editor, you need to lighten up the picture to bring out the colors of the pen. Depending upon which camera you own, there may be some settings you can change on it to get a proper exposure. A simple thing to do would be to use a darker background so there is not so much contrast between the pen and the background.

I suspect that is a nice looking pen; but a better picture would be a big help.

JimGo

Very nice Bill! I agree with Randy - I WANT A BETTER PIC (or two or three). Regardless, the cocobolo clip looks great!

angboy

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />I can't tell much about the clip. Jim, don't you suppose the centerband is the Cocobolo??

I sure hope it's the centerband that's the cocobolo, otherwise I'm really starting to feel confused!!! [:)][:)]

JimGo

Randy, if Bill is gonna let me decide what part <s>is</s> should be Cocobolo, I'm going to decide that it's the clip! Though the CB looks nice, too. [:D]

bjackman

Sorry for such a delayed response to some questions here. Life and work got really busy here for a while. First off, thanks all for taking the time to look and comment.
Stan, I do expect there will eventually be some wear if someone posts this pen in regular use. But, I expect a pen like this to be a user, not a collector piece and most fp users I know expect a certain level of show or wear with use. It just happens, you can't help it.
Lee,
On the cap, the tube is left sticking out a little from the hole drilled for the cap. During my initial rounding and turning I part off a little more wood, leaving a clean shoulder so when I glue on the CB it glues to both brass tube and the main wood material. I leave enough of it so it extends past the brass tube a little to make up for the "headspace" I'll be losing by doing away with the stock CB. The stock plastic thread/cap coupler is held in a Beall collet chuck and I carefully turn the larger diameter part down so the whole thread insert is just barely a firm slip fit into the cap/tube. The whole thing is epoxied in place when I do final assembly.
Again sorry for the lame excuse for a photo, but it was all I could do as I was walking out the door to deliver the pen for consignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom