Eight Oxfords

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I volunteer for a local not-for-profit and have gotten into the habit of gifting a nice pen for anyone who makes a VIP level donation. That's typically 5 or 6 individuals each year. This year, however, we got a large donation from the local chamber of commerce which has an eight member governing board. While nobody would probably hold me to having to gift eight pens, I kinda was intrigued by how to make it work without being a ton of labor and $'s.

For blanks, I was lucky to come across an old stump that had just been removed from the municipal parking lot, so that was appropriate. For a pen kit, I wanted something that was single body, but that would impress while also being economical. In searching through pen kits, I was surprised to find a capped, single body kit (the Oxford $7.15 each), that actually comes with a completed metal cap – you turn the body. It's a nice feeling pen and actually weighs more than a Jr. Gent when finished. I also put G2 Gel Refills in them, so that was probably another dollar or so per pen.

I stabilized the wood orange, then red. I'm still trying to figure out what the wood is… I believe it's Elm. Oh, you might count more than 8 pens… to make sure I got a yield of at least 8 pens, I did more than needed as I went along (cut 12 blanks, picked the best 10 to drill and tube, had one blow up on me, so ended up with 9). I'll keep the extra for myself.

One of the challenges was because the stump was from a gravel parking lot, it actually had rock embedded within it occasionally. Rock is hard to saw and turn :)

(Per comments after I posted, I added a couple of pictures of the original "stump" I used. The bark looks like it's long peeled off, revealing some distinctive "stalagmite like" pointy bumps. They're sharp - kinda hard to pick the thing up without gloves.)

Attachments

• Oxford-18.jpg
    Oxford-18.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Oxford-15.jpg
    Oxford-15.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Oxford-16.jpg
    Oxford-16.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Oxford-17.jpg
    Oxford-17.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 202
  • stump_082723.jpg
    stump_082723.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 190
  • stump-15.jpg
    stump-15.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Outstanding Work, Roy.
I would have liked to see the wood prior to Dyeing, as to what you had to work with.
Regardless, what you have Produced is Fantastic, the Colours are Spectacular.
Great Choice on the Oxford Kit.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
I am sure the Governing Board Members will be Delighted.
Congratulations, on your Charity, Effort, and Results.
Brian.

qquake

Great looking pens and blanks! I like the Oxford kits, they make great looking pens, and you certainly can't beat the price. I've made a total of eight of the ballpoint version for the girls at work. They were all impressed.

Attachments

• 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 166

donstephan

If you still have some wood, look down on the end grain. If there are wavy lines in the late season growth, according to Understanding Wood bu Bruce Hoadley (a marvelous book, by the way) it is one of the elms or hackberry.

Top Bottom