Eclipse Tropical Teal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

This in an Eclipse pen from Woodturningz in gunmetal. The blank is a Woodshed called Tropical Teal. I like the simple yet elegant lines of the pen, and the color of the blank is pleasing to my eye. It's almost calming.

Attachments

• done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 173
  • done03.JPG
    done03.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 170
  • done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 141
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 147
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 204
  • done08.JPG
    done08.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 90
  • done09.JPG
    done09.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 95
  • done10.JPG
    done10.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 95
  • done11.JPG
    done11.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 96
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Nicely done! Think I need to get a couple of those blanks!

They sell them exclusively at Beartooth Woods. I've turned several, and in spite of the turning challenges, they are beautiful blanks. I think my favorite so far is Jet Stream.

Attachments

• 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 148
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 144

qquake

Did I mention that these blanks are challenging to turn? I know that they're brittle from turning them in the past. But it seems like I had more trouble with this one. As usual, though, I'm sure it's mostly attributable to my aggressive technique. The bad chips on the right were with my usual spindle gouge. So I switched to a 15mm radius carbide chisel, and got minor chips on the left side. So I took a deep breath, and took very light cuts until I got it turned straight. I was afraid to use a chisel to shape it, so I used 120 grit sandpaper dry. I've been doing that with most blanks lately, and it's been working very well for me. It's amazing that those horrible scratches from the coarse sandpaper polish completely out.

Attachments

• chip02.JPG
    chip02.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 132
  • chip05.JPG
    chip05.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 88
  • chip04.JPG
    chip04.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 146
  • chip03.JPG
    chip03.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 124
  • chip01.JPG
    chip01.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 134
  • chip06.JPG
    chip06.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 114
  • straight01.JPG
    straight01.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 154
  • straight02.JPG
    straight02.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 107
  • straight03.JPG
    straight03.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 129
  • sand01.JPG
    sand01.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 112
  • polished01.JPG
    polished01.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 102

OZturner

Nice Pens, Jim.
I notice that the Chips on your Blanks, are breakouts at both ends of the Blank, and I believe these are caused by, Cutter "Pressure" rather than "Slicing" on an unsupported edge of a Brittle Blank.
I don't know if you are happy using a Skew.
But I make a point of turning both ends of my blanks, down to the close proximity of the Bush, using my Skew Chisel, as you would if you were turning a Bead or half a Cove.
Then I attack the Center of the Blank, by removing the material between the End "Half Coves".
I have found, that this method, with a Sharp Skew, removes the material easily, and with the "Half Cove" the Skew does not Chip or break off the ends of the Blanks, as the Skew is applying a Slicing Action, and the end of the Blank is already down to the proximity of the Bush.
It works for me, and you might like to try it.
Regards,
Brian.

qquake

Nice Pens, Jim.
I notice that the Chips on your Blanks, are breakouts at both ends of the Blank, and I believe these are caused by, Cutter "Pressure" rather than "Slicing" on an unsupported edge of a Brittle Blank.
I don't know if you are happy using a Skew.
But I make a point of turning both ends of my blanks, down to the close proximity of the Bush, using my Skew Chisel, as you would if you were turning a Bead or half a Cove.
Then I attack the Center of the Blank, by removing the material between the End "Half Coves".
I have found, that this method, with a Sharp Skew, removes the material easily, and with the "Half Cove" the Skew does not Chip or break off the ends of the Blanks, as the Skew is applying a Slicing Action, and the end of the Blank is already down to the proximity of the Bush.
It works for me, and you might like to try it.
Regards,
Brian.

Unfortunately, I never did learn to properly use a skew. I've tried, but they just don't work for me.

Top Bottom