Ebony and Striped Ebony Pen and Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krash

Krash

This is what I call Black-Hole ebony because I cannot see any grain in it at all. Amazing how black it is!
The top is dark striped ebony, not sure from where, but it complements the Black-Hole ebony well. I added some scallop segmenting just to break up the total eclipse that is the lower portion. If I didn't, it might just disappear in my hand!

Anyway, I hope you all like this set. Let my know if you have any constructive ideas for me.

Happy Turns to You!

Attachments

• DSC_0336.jpg
    DSC_0336.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice looking pen. I think using the stripped ebony was a good idea as well as the segmenting . I might have gone with a silver or chrome plating. Your fit and finish looks good.

OZturner

A Beautiful Ebony Duet,
Ingenious choice of Stripped Ebony for the Caps, and the Aluminium Inserts set it off.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Magnificent.
Brian.

Krash

Thanks for the kind words!

I made some mistakes on each one but I filed them away into my experience library. Hopefully next time will be different.

This may be my last time using this black-hole ebony since it was so hard to work with. The sanding dust was so fine, and I was wearing a sanding mask, that when I took it off I looked like a reverse image panda bear when I finished! Ha ha, that's what my wife said when she saw me. I looked like a coal miner.

Do you guys like the shape? Freeforming a shape from a slimline kit is so subjective. Some look balanced and natural .... some awkward. Be truthful! Top too big? Weird raised band?

Turning the first one came pretty easy since I had no template. Trying to match it on the second was a challenge. I ended up having to put the first one back on the lathe to cut the band to match what I had done on the second. It was an experience!

Thanks for your comments.

Krash

Nice looking pen. I think using the stripped ebony was a good idea as well as the segmenting . I might have gone with a silver or chrome plating. Your fit and finish looks good.

Yea Dan, I bet the chrome would have looked good also. I was kind of going for a totally dark pen and I didn't like the black kit so I went with the dark gunmetal as a compromise. Maybe I'll try something similar with chrome sometime.

redwd707

I think you wound up with a very pleasing shape on those. I agree with you that sometimes that can look odd, but these two have a great aesthetic, IMO.

I think what you've got there is Macassar ebony (striped) and Gabon ebony (black). Check out black and white ebony if you haven't seen it. Probably my three favorite woods.

Rink

I love the shape. It has style but not overdone. And it's unexpected. I think they have understated class.

rblakemore

Very nicely done; I like them.
Thanks for the comment on my request for an executive desk set.
But, to help me, please, which pen kit are these??

Krash

Very nicely done; I like them.
Thanks for the comment on my request for an executive desk set.
But, to help me, please, which pen kit are these??

The only detour to your original request for twist set is that the pencil is a click. If that's OK then maybe you've got a direction.

Good luck!

Top Bottom