Ebony and Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

...ebonite and ivory celluloid, that is. This was an order for a guy who had these fantastic celluloid blanks he wanted a pen from. He supplied the jowo #8 nib as well. I used Japanese ebonite for the accent pieces, and transparent gray acrylic for the ink window. The pen has 9 sides, and is reasonably fat due to the gigantic nib. Capped length is about 5.5".

Attachments

• 27D730B8-CEF5-450C-AB0C-F83E8AA41208.jpg
    27D730B8-CEF5-450C-AB0C-F83E8AA41208.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 304
  • BD41C3D0-96AF-4A83-AEE5-48516AC11E5A.jpg
    BD41C3D0-96AF-4A83-AEE5-48516AC11E5A.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 7EA62DC4-AF85-4B37-B40C-6B33D331C22F.jpg
    7EA62DC4-AF85-4B37-B40C-6B33D331C22F.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful combination and work. Elegant!

Makes me want to make one like that!

Where did you find the ivory celluloid? Beautiful looking grain.

Last edited:

mrburls

Beautiful pen John. That looks like some of that cross cut Ivory from American Art Plastics which I don't think they make anymore.
Keith

jalbert

It was sent to me by the customer, who got it from owner of the now-defunct American Art Plastics.
Beautiful pen John. That looks like some of that cross cut Ivory from American Art Plastics which I don't think they make anymore.
Keith
Thanks! You are correct. It is some of the cross cut stuff that AAP made. It's a shame it's no longer available. I have a couple pieces of the straight grain stuff; but the cross cut is far more interesting in my opinion.

Marcros

It was sent to me by the customer, who got it from owner of the now-defunct American Art Plastics.
Keith
Thanks! You are correct. It is some of the cross cut stuff that AAP made. It's a shame it's no longer available. I have a couple pieces of the straight grain stuff; but the cross cut is far more interesting in my opinion.

Has AAP ceased trading? I used them a handful of times for ebonite, so that is a shame if it is the case.

jalbert

Keith

Has AAP ceased trading? I used them a handful of times for ebonite, so that is a shame if it is the case.

As far as I know. I got my stock of ivory and tortoise celluloids directly from one of the former owners, and he said that was the last of it

magpens

John,

I assume you use a milling machine to make the facets.

What I am wondering is ... do the barrels start as straight-sided and do they stay that way ? or do you deliberately make the barrels slightly bulged in the middle and/or tapered slightly ?

Thanks

jttheclockman

This is one of the nicest looking pens I have seen here. Job well done and the craftsmanship and artistry really show through. Everything is well proportioned and executed. Deserves front page recognition. You should be proud of this one for sure.

Top Bottom