Ebony and Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhart

A few years ago, I refinished an antique piano and had to get genuine ivory keytops so I bought as many as I could find to ensure good matching. After I was done, I had a pile of ivory keytops with no home....So, despite some press I've read regarding the instability of Ebony...I decided to give this a try anyway.
The Ebony behaved very well, although my skills are still lacking. I'm not terribly happy with the finish or the fit but I identified all those failings and I'll correct them on the next try. Thanks for looking!!

2005712153240_EbonyAndIvory-sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnhart

Thanks everyone...I had some trouble with squaring the pieces mainly because I forgot to rough up the ivory and my glue joints failed as I was drilling. In trying to recover, things got a little crooked. But, lessons learned...got lots more ebony and ivory. Thanks again

Gary Max

John we need to talk about your background and lighting.
These get to be a real big deal when you are talking about something as small as a pen.
Pen looks great---wonder where I can find some ivory at[:D]

johnhart

I agree Gary....My pictures stink. I want to build a box and get my lights done right. Tell ya what, if you help walk me through a box, I'll forget the 37 cents you owe me!

Gary Max

John it have use a couple of different things.
It real hard to follow here---heck they keep coming up with better ideals all the time.
Being slow ---I started with a white trash can---dollar store about $5.00 bucks. There is also the white foam ice cooler approach.
Right now the thing is Daylight bulbs and light tents---big bucks. But if your selling pens on the net good pics are a must have.
Not at my house since I am not selling pens online---so I do not need to spent that kind of money.
There is a photo help forum on the site--has lots of info.
Is that worth 37 cents?????????

johnhart

Ok Thanks Gary..You're off the hook...the envelope's in the mail. My wife bought me 2 large white oblong buckets to do my alcohol soaks with and I only need one for that. I'll direct some lights at it and see what I come up with. We'll see on the next pen.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />John we need to talk about your background and lighting.
These get to be a real big deal when you are talking about something as small as a pen.
Pen looks great---wonder where I can find some ivory at[:D]

Internet searches will bring up legitmate dealers, not a lot but there are some. They sell legal 'estate ivory' that has been in the country since before the ban went on for exporting from Africa. I once had a notion to make a duck call from ivory. A hunk the proper size would have cost about $800.00. And it is reputed to be brittle, meaning that $800.00 could explode off the lathe. Consider Alaskan ivory, mammoth fossil, whale teeth and the like. Still expensive but still less money than the real stuff.

johnhart

Michael Wine was kind enough to remove some of that dingy yukky pukey yellow color that was in my pic. Now it looks like the real thing!! Thanks Michael!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom