Ebony and Holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

No, I did not make the blank.I got it from Jason Swanson when we both demonstrated at the Chicago Symposium a couple of years ago. Jason sells then and Exotic Blanks sell his blanks. Enjoy. Comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• swanson black:white.jpg
    swanson black:white.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks. I used General Finishes' Wood Turners' Finish. 20 coats over 2 days. Not sure I like it. It shines more than the picture shows. I trying to decide if I want to disassemble and try another finish. I may just leave it for now carry the pen and see how it wears then see if I can i prove the finish. Wood Turner's Finish has gotten some good reports but I don't see it, yet.

I'm not sure a super shine is always the best look.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Nice blank!...great pen! What is your finish? It looks to have a low sheen.

eranox

Now THAT is a handsome pen! I'd like to see that pulled out of the pocket of a black tuxedo. The sharp lines and sharp contrast are a winning combination. I like how the roundness of the hardware balances out the long lateral lines. That's a perfect pairing!

johncrane

Don! this is great pen, looks fantastic! the black finials and black c/ban blend in beautiful the blank is beautifully made, having all the segments pieces running all the same direction is a very strong and long lasting joint."YOU GET MY VOTE FOR THE FRONT PAGE PEN"

Last edited:

OZturner

Don, this pen oozes Technique,
The Fantastic Ebony and Holly Blank, is a Masterpiece of Segmenting,
The Fit and Finish is Superb, as well as the Finial and Centre Band.
Great Craftsmanship all-round.
I support johncrane's nomination for a Front Page Pen.
Brian.

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments. Jason's blanks are excellent. He does a fantastic job with them. I watched him demo how he makes them and there is lots of work in them. I'm glad I could make it look as nice as it came out. Now, I'm saving $$ to get a couple of peppermill blanks. Thanks again.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom