Ebony on Gunmetal Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

As alluded to here, I turned my first ebony. I'm irritated by this. I finished it in CA and now, we can see no grain pattern. It might as well just be a chunk of black PR. I thin I'll snad it down and just leave it unfinished. It's hard enough. Anyone any thoughts on finishing ebony?

Penultimate

Nice pen. I made an ebony Jr. gent and just finished a custom ebony finial both finished with CA. You really have to study the pen to see the subtle grain detail.

76winger

I always finish ebony with a friction polish called Shellawax. The wood is plenty hard enough on it's own and the Shellawax gives it a nice shine after sanding through 600 grit then 1200 MM and finally applying a couple coats of the finish.

Not as glossy as CA, but hey, not everything has to have a glass-smooth shine! It ends up with nice wood feel still, and good luster.

Jgrden

As alluded to here, I turned my first ebony. I'm irritated by this. I finished it in CA and now, we can see no grain pattern. It might as well just be a chunk of black PR. I thin I'll snad it down and just leave it unfinished. It's hard enough. Anyone any thoughts on finishing ebony?

Heh, heh heh. You are funny. Just sit back and wait for it to crack and then take it apart and put it back on the mandrel and refurbish it. When you are done, it will look beautifully worn. Now this is subject to debate. I use CA/BLO up to about 12 coats. Now then someone else just finished pen set and left it with a soft look claiming that the CA/BLO made the finish look like plastic. Your pen looks great. cc rrraaaaaaccccck

Top Bottom