Ebony & Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Just plain and simple Jet Black Ebony on a churchill. However, finishing ebony is not plain and simple. Had to sand down and start all over on the first attempt. This second finish is pretty good but still not perfect.

Attachments

• ChurchillEbony1.jpg
    ChurchillEbony1.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 254
  • ChurchillEbony2.jpg
    ChurchillEbony2.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 224
  • ChurchillEbony3.jpg
    ChurchillEbony3.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Thanks for the comments. Ebony does look good with sterling silver. We hit the road this afternoon for vacation. To prevent turning withdrawal symptoms while on vacation I decided to turn a pen real quick. I gave myself 4 hours to get it done. Well, you can't rush ebony. :frown: I ended up re-doing the finish because of the first rush job. But, I don't think I will get withdrawal.

carlor

I'm just starting my first ebony pen and I'm wondering about finishing it. Can you let me know what finish you used and what issues you ran into?

Thanks,

Carlo.

MikeL

I'm just starting my first ebony pen and I'm wondering about finishing it. Can you let me know what finish you used and what issues you ran into?

Thanks,

Carlo.

It is a CA finish. The issues were scratches. A solid black shows flaws quite easily. I still seem to have better control over thin ca than medium. On the second attempt of the finish I just stuck with thin and had better luck. It's just a matter of technique. I have not mastered a good process to lay thicker CAs more level. I can not recall if I used dr kirks polish on this pen but I use it regularly now and have fewer issues with scratches.

carlor

Thanks,

Carlo.

It is a CA finish. The issues were scratches. A solid black shows flaws quite easily. I still seem to have better control over thin ca than medium. On the second attempt of the finish I just stuck with thin and had better luck. It's just a matter of technique. I have not mastered a good process to lay thicker CAs more level. I can not recall if I used dr kirks polish on this pen but I use it regularly now and have fewer issues with scratches.

The way that black shows flaws was also my concern which is why I started looking into how others finish their ebony pens. It sounds like the key is to have a really good sanding job before even putting on the CA.

Thanks for the info.

Carlo.

Top Bottom