ebony and bloodwood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

This is a siera that I made for my brother. I just wanted to see what the pen public thought about it. I know the pic. is not the best but it was the only one that I took before my brother took it. The segments are seperated by some metal flashing the a friend gave me from HD.

Attachments

• ebony and bloodwood pen.jpg
    ebony and bloodwood pen.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 603
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

I like the angles a lot. However, since you can see a grain pattern in the bloodwood, my reccomendation is to cut the sements in a way that aligns the grain. It seems to be going in different directions on different segments.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Your brother was probably afraid that you would change your mind and keep it for yourself,:eek: so he took it and ran. Can't blame him! That is a really nice looking piece of work!:biggrin:

mickr

nice design change from many angled segmented pens that have been shared here..very attractive

Russell Eaton

you are right the grain does not line up. This pen was made with scrap pieces of bloodwood and a good piece of ebony. Steve the segments are cut streight, the reason for the long delay in my reply I had a computer meltdown yesterday. My brother spent 12 hours fixing it!!! I guess he earned the pen after all LOL.

gvanweerd

Very nice!... i've been thinking of a pattern simular to that. it looks like you use brass for the seperations. Isn't that hard on the turning tools?

RIPPIN45

Russel;
The metal flashing really makes the pen with the kit finish you picked out. Very nice looking pen. I like the different angles you put into it.

djeaton

I'm the brother that snapped up this beauty as soon as I saw it. Thought I'd give some perspective from the "customer side" since I have this in my possession and can really study it from every angle. Of the dozen or more pens that we've purchased or received as gifts from Russell, this is my favorite. The high-gloss polish on it is incredible. I don't get out much, but when I do I make sure I have my walking cane, my iPhone, and this pen. :) I love the ceramic ball gel insert in it. It writes effortlessly. I agree that the grain doesn't line up, but it is done in such a way that it doesn't look like it is supposed to. It's not like you are trying to match two colors of paint on the wall and one of them is just a tad off and annoys the heck out of you from then on. Because it is not only separated by the aluminum but also the ebony, it doesn't come across like two things that should perfectly match up and don't. There is enough distance between them that any natural fluctuations in the wood grain could account for any differences. If it *had* been cut from a single piece and *did* match up, I don't really think it would be that noticeable or add to the piece at all.
Daniel

Top Bottom