EBONY & ALUMINIUM AERO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike D

Mike D

Last week Wiset! Posted a beautiful Ivory and Aluminum rollerball that now adorns the Featured Photo on our site and as it should, it's a stunning creation!

In Wiset1 post he mentioned he would like to see a pen with black & aluminum so I laminated this pen blank with Ebony and Aluminium. I used epoxy instead of CA and paired it with a Crafts USA ARTISIN AERO ball point kit I picked up at last years WOOD show. After it was assembled I liked it but not loved it, I should have turned it down a bit more in the middle however this is my first laminated or segmented pen and I was sorta in a hurry to see the black & chrome assembled. now that I know how to do it I'll pair it up in some form with a more expensive rollerball kit and pay closer attention to the shape.

Comments welcome & thanks for viewing!

Wiset1 thanks for your inspiration!

Attachments

• DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN0048.jpg
    DSCN0048.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0046.jpg
    DSCN0046.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Yes it may look a little chubby in the center but it is still a stunning looking pen. Might have to give something like it a go myself.

Mike D

Thanks JD! I must say it's very comfortable to write with. It would have been very difficult had it not been for the Woodchuck Pen Pro, it cut through the material like butter.

wiset1

Mike,

The concept of the pen looks fantastic in black and I like that you used different levels of aluminum in you segmenting. Very stunning look, but I have to agree with Brian...take some time to pull it back to the blank and finish turning it down a bit and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

How did you like turning aluminum that thick?

Mike D

Mike,

The concept of the pen looks fantastic in black and I like that you used different levels of aluminum in you segmenting. Very stunning look, but I have to agree with Brian...take some time to pull it back to the blank and finish turning it down a bit and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

How did you like turning aluminum that thick?

Thanks!

Turning the aluminium was actually very easy with the Woodchuck. It was easier than I had expected. I have a black Ti Jr Gent II kit that I will attempt with the aluminum and ebony but I'll have to get some long cure epoxy for that. The 5 min epoxy set almost to quick for this short barreled kit. This one was just a test to see how it would go with the laminate.

Thanks for your advise, tutorials, and examples in fine pen craftsmanship!

Top Bottom