Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is an ebony pen I turned this weekend. The hardware is a Craft Supply Junior Emperor.
IMG_7437.jpg

The Gabon ebony was very carefully turned and sanded out to 2500. I have had mixed success with ebony on pens, they can crack or split easily for me when drilling and also after I turn them. I have some special ebony right now that I know is 80 years dry.
IMG_7432.jpg

The finish is a non finish actually, after sanding I used my Beall white diamond and carnauba wheels. I was tempted to use a CA or friction polished finish, but the natural look was more classic I think.
IMG_7438.jpg

Comments and critiques are all welcomed :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Jim!

I saw this posted over at Wood Central. This is a wonderful pen! Very classic and understated, but so rich! I like the idea of the non-finish, and I think you made the right choice there. Great pen!

Scott.

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Jim!

I saw this posted over at Wood Central. This is a wonderful pen! Very classic and understated, but so rich! I like the idea of the non-finish, and I think you made the right choice there. Great pen!

Scott.

Thanks Scott, I think the pantina of the ebony will improve with age and use over time...I look forward to seeing that happen, I am keeping this pen myself.

First one ever.
[8D]

Randy_

Don't want to be a wet blanket; but I assume you know that Ebony has a rep for cracking after a while. Did you do anything special in an effort to prevent a problem at some later date??

I like the Ebony with that kit. Makes for a classic looking pen!!

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Don't want to be a wet blanket; but I assume you know that Ebony has a rep for cracking after a while. Did you do anything special in an effort to prevent a problem at some later date??

I like the Ebony with that kit. Makes for a classic looking pen!!

Hi Randy,

I sure hope 80 years dry is dry enough, eh!![:)]

Thanks for your kind words..[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom