Ebonized Circles in the Forest - Update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

A while ago I posted a pen where I had ebonized maple. I mentioned that I had trouble getting the aluminum to shine without knocking back the ebonizing.

Well I found the solution and it was pretty simple. Patience :rolleyes:. I demonstrated the ebonizing technique to my local chapter on this pen. I couldn't get to the pen for a couple of days after the meeting. Obviously the ebonizing solution had dried completely in that time. I just sanded it lightly with some non-abrasive steel wool. The aluminum shone and I kept the deep, rich color of the ebonized maple :)

1_ES-BP-CSC-0001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful Pen Keith!

Love the ebonized method that you wrote up! I have some steel wool dissolving in vinegar now. I don't have access to the tannin solution that you have, but I will be trying something different.

KenV

Lee -- extra strong tea has the tannins you need for this use -- just not as strong as the bark that Keith used. May take a few extra coats. I have used the technique with flat work quit successfully. As I remember, there is a local oak in Japan -- and oaks have a lot of tannin, so you might want to try that wood also.

stolicky

Looks good.

Just goes to show what we all tend to learn the hard way, if you want a really good (and durable) finish (generalizing here) it takes patience.

Trying to rush finishes rarely works out the way we would like it to.

CA is the only exception in my experience - when it works right.

VisExp

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

I get powdered tannin for winemaking at my local winemaking supply store. Haven't tried if for this but it may work.

Rick, that sounds like it would be worth a try. As Ken mentioned, basically you are just trying to introduce tannin into wood which has a naturally low tannin content. Once you've done that the tannin will form a chemical reaction with the steel wool/vinegar solution.

If you do try it I'd love to see the results. I'd love to sample your wine as well :biggrin:

Rick_G

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

Rick, that sounds like it would be worth a try. As Ken mentioned, basically you are just trying to introduce tannin into wood which has a naturally low tannin content. Once you've done that the tannin will form a chemical reaction with the steel wool/vinegar solution.

If you do try it I'd love to see the results. I'd love to sample your wine as well :biggrin:

If you ever get up in this area you will be welcome to try it.

shull

A beautiful pen and an intriging process. Looks like I have even more things to research...Ah so many things to learn so little time :)

Top Bottom