Ebonite and two antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

An ebonite Gent. The ebonite color/pattern is cumberland and was purchased from Denmark. For those interested I still have not found another source, but when I do I will announce it. Ebonite (hard rubber) is fun to turn, works well with a gouge. My favorite tool, the skew, was no good on this material...yes it was sharp; the skew was hard to control, but the gouge was wonderful. Sanded with MM and buffed with tripoli and white diamonds and a coat of TSW. Neither CA nor lacquer provided a good finish, so I sanded them off and used the buffing compounds and TSW.

The other two are just antler cigars...nothing special but thought I would share them. They both came from the same piece of antler. The one on the right was closer to the base and the one on the left was just above it. Amazing how the color can change in such a short distance.

Enjoy and comments welcome...good or bad...

Do a good turn daily!
Don

200522323127_Ebonite%20Gent.jpg

200522321628_antler%20cigar%20duo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pens, Don. I'll be interested to hear how the ebonite holds up with TSW. Scubaman and I had discussed this a while back.

Gary

The quality of the turnings is excellent! Hard rubber and antler aren't on the list of materials I want to use for pens, but that's just my taste.

its_virgil

Lou: Thanks and I'll keep you informed on the ebonite. I leave it in a window just to see what the sunlight will do to it.

Serge: Thanks again. I so much wanted to put some antler in your pkg but I did not....Would an antler pen, already done and assembled be the same as sending just the antler itself?

Gary and Tip: Thanks for the comments and its okay if antler is not at the top of your list, or even on your list. That's what makes this group so much fun...the diversity of materials and techniques that we use to obtain such nice results.

Ken and Tom: Thanks for looking. Maybe I can find another source of ebonite and get a group purchase going.

do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Don, that is a wonderfull ebonite pen. That is a real nice color with the streaky red. I am starting to like that stuff. I purchased a few ebonite pens at the pen show. I found a guy that is going to send me some he has manufactured. an orange, like the old Parker and a black. The cost is 50.00 for a 2 foot stick 3/4 thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom