Ebonite Majestic Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from omb76

omb76

This is my first time turning Ebonite and if it hadn't turned out so well, it may have been my last... the stink is almost too much! :eek: Turnes like a dream though and makes for such a classy looking pen in my opinion. This piece is Blue Marble and came from Exotics. I really like the feel this material has.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

Thanks...here's a better picture. This one was a little difficult to get a good shot of.

Attachments

• Ebonite Pen.jpg
    Ebonite Pen.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 132

IPD_Mrs

You did a very nice job with the ebonite. I agree with you on the smell. I don't turn it and when the Mr. does I make him shut the door to the inside of the house so the whole place doesn't smell like burning rubber!! They do make one heck of a classy pen though. :) Keep up the good work!

Linda

alphageek

Former Moderator
That looks GREAT! Thats a tough material to work with - both from the smell and the challenge... but you have done great!

For me, ebonite is a "turn outdoors in the summer only" material! Phew!!

omb76

Thanks for the compliments everyone! This does smell really bad when you work with it. I was in the garage and had the overhead door open and a fan blowing towards the drill press and lathe when I was working with it. My thoughts when turning it was "this had better make a REALLY nice pen"...LOL! I think the smell is as bad as or worse than antler/horn. It was worth it though, I'll definitely be making a lot more ebonite pens in the future. It's funny how the worse something smells the prettier the end results... ebonite, bakelite, antler, horn... Thanks again!

PR_Princess

Great looking pen David!!! Very classy!! A really amazing job for a first time with this material!! I'm very impressed!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BTW, don't worry. After turning a few of these blanks, you won't even notice the smell of ebonite anymore. It kinda grows on you.

'Course you may want to move out into the country...:eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom