Ebonite bb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

This is my version of Ebonite. This is from an old Bowling ball marked Ebonite and Rubber. These are truely nasty to turn! But I like the way they come out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

John, Did you check the other message about the place I got the antler? Check it out.

In one of the bowling ball bags was a holder made of plastic. I pulled it out of the bag and it stood on it's own.
I used some non skid material under the ball. I first cut a small portion of the ball off maybe 1/6 th or 1/5th. I use the bank saw. After the first cut you then have a flat surface to use. I don't know how to post a photo in this area. I will right now put a couple of pictures in my ablum to better explain how I have been doing this.

its_virgil

What was the smell when you turned the bb material. Was is burning rubber or an acrylic smell similar to other plastic pen blanks. I've cut 3 bb's that said ebonite and rubber and none of them were really ebonite. Ebonite is also the name of a company that manufactures bowling balls. I hope you did find a real ebonite bowilin ball. Whatever it is, the pen looks very nice....beautiful material and work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
\
Originally posted by elody21
<br />This is my version of Ebonite. This is from an old Bowling ball marked Ebonite and Rubber. These are truely nasty to turn! But I like the way they come out!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Alice...when you create or respond to a post, beneath the message area there is a paper clip with the words "Insert an Image File" next to it. Click on that paper clip and a text box will open, allowing you to upload a photo (up to 90kb, up to 2 pictures in a post) to your post. This does not work with the quick reply space at the bottom, but only if you click on "Reply to this message". Hope this helps.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ebonite was a trademark used by The Brunswick Corporation for a line of bowling balls from the 1950's through at least the 1980's (when I stopped competing). There was no ebonite in the ball. It was rubber. The term ebonite was used to evoke an image of being the hardest bowling ball available. As far as I know, the trademark Ebonite was never used for "plastic" bowling balls.

elody21

BURNING RUBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really awful!!!! The dust is like coal dust. Are you sure they also said rubber. Both of the black and colored ones that I have also say rubber. I have done several acrylic ones also. I think the worse is the one that said urethane. It was like burning oil!!!!!!!!!!!! I never even made it though that one. I just posted a couple of pics of how I cut bbs This one is acrylic.

elody21

I am sure this is ebonite it was terrible to turn.VERY VERY HARD MATERIAL!!
I had to sharpen my skew every few seconds!

elody21

Sorry,
the pictures are in my albumn of cutting bb The pic is not the ebonite one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom