East Indian Rosewood Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

I made this chrome atlas the other day from a section of East Indian Rosewood
I bought the piece from Rockler. A year ago I bought a piece from West Penn Hardwoods. Both of the pieces have a profile cut on one side.(Like it was run through a shaper) Someone sugested that they can ship it into this country if they sell it as a furniture part but not as raw wood. Does anyone know if this is true. Im telling everyone it was reclaimed from the same bed from a South East Asian opium den that Steven Cripe made Jerry Garcia's guitar from.. lol
http://www.cripeguitars.com/bolt.html

finialtutorial01150.jpg

finialtutorial01350.jpg

Anyway
Comments welcomed
Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

don't know specifically about EI Rosewood, but there are several woods from various places that can only be exported as a finished good now. Raw timber is not allowed out of the country of origin.

LeeR

I bought a 1.5" x 1.5" x 12" piece of East Indian Rosewood the other day at Woodcraft, for wine stoppers. Same thing, one edge had a very minor concave cut on it, like it was run thru a shaper. The width from the low point of the concave cut, to the opposite side, is 1.5", so if it were squared, it would be true 1.5". It was cheap, so I just figured it was an odd scrap.

Rfturner

I am not sure on you question but I have a beautiful East indian rosewood piece that I got fairly cheap it was originally supposed to be made into an Ernie Ball guitar neck but it was never picked up so it was sold it to me at a local wood supply store. When I bought it, it had 4 deep grooves that I had to plane off it is still nice and about 13/16" thick still.:biggrin:

I do know that with some woods they have stopped importing and exporting because people were getting murdered over the lumber jobs. I know that Teak is one of the woods on that is carefully watched and at times outright banned for import. hope that helps.

Mark

I found this statement on the West Penn HW site.

East Indian Rosewood Dalbergia latifolia
East Indian Rosewood is a beautiful exotic turning wood that is easy to work with. Wonderful striped figure. It is very stable. The resin makes it a little hard to glue, and it is necessary to pre-drill before nailing. Only exported as turning squares or components for musical instruments.

Top Bottom