East Indian Rosewood Crotch Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I need to build or buy a good photo tent. The PIX I have don't do justice to this wood. The pen is chatoyant all the way up and down the blank and all the way around the pen. It is dark from a distance but as you get closer the pen has many colors that turn on and off as you move the pen.

I'm not giving this one away! This one is for me.

The wood is East Indian Rosewood Crotch which I got from West Penn. I picked up a bunch of these turning squares when I was visiting.

I blew out the first blank drilling too fast so I taped it and slowed down to 1/8" at a time. There is a lot of endgrain which makes the fibers short and prone to damage. I gave the whole blank a thin CA bath before breaking it down to cylinder. Once I got it rounded off it turned very nicely under the skew.. at least nicely given the amount of end grain.

Sanded to MM-12000 and then triple buffed. The finish is a drop of tung oil followed by 7 coats of CA/BLO. MM-2,400 to 12,000, double buff with Carnauba and then a coat of Ren wax. Here are two views and close ups:
scimg4880.jpg

scimg4881.jpg

scimg4878.jpg

scimg4876.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Bree I agree, chatoyance is remarkable in that pen. Almost has a rainbow look to it from here!! Nice work.:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Whoah !!!! I like the colors in that wood . Great job Bree ! Definately a keeper , unless you get an offer you can't refuse of course . :biggrin: Keep them coming ! :wink:

Top Bottom