Earthbound

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Made up these blanks last night. I've named this batch "Earthbound". This is the first one HOT off the lathe. I am VERY pleased with the outcome. I used castin craft PR with some metallic mica powders. MM to 12000 and finished with PlastX and topped with Ren Wax. As always any comments/questions appreciated!

Attachments

• 100_4797.jpg
    100_4797.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_4793.jpg
    100_4793.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_4795.jpg
    100_4795.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_4799.jpg
    100_4799.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penl8the

Beautiful pen. Great casting. The Sierra Elegant pen kit is a perfect match with the blank.

I am new to casting. Can you explain how achieve the various colors from metallic mica powders. Were there any dyes added? Did you add the accelerator before you stir in the metallic mica powders?

TIA.

Brooks803

Beautiful pen. Great casting. The Sierra Elegant pen kit is a perfect match with the blank.

I am new to casting. Can you explain how achieve the various colors from metallic mica powders. Were there any dyes added? Did you add the accelerator before you stir in the metallic mica powders?

TIA.

Sure thing Branden. I'm also very new to casting myself, I think this is only my 3rd batch I've made up to date. As far as the PR goes, The Castin Craft PR is a 1 part mix where you can add your powders or dyes either before or after you add your hardener. Since the hardener doesn't add any volume to your mix it doesn't dillute anything. I do however add any of my powders or dyes BEFORE adding hardener because I want to have enough playtime to adjust how much powder and make sure I have what I want before it sets up (Which it will before you realize it). I added 3 drops of hardener per oz. of resin. I want to say it took about 20-30 mins for the resin to thicken. Once I have the resin starting to gel I make my pours into my mold alternating colors for a nice mix, also I run a toothpick and swirl things around a bit too. Then stick it in the toaster oven (TURNED OFF) overnight to help with the fumes (respirator is a very smart thing to use by the way). I check them in the morning and if they are still tacky I'll turn on the toaster oven on 150 for about an hour. Hope this helps and ask anything else that I might not have covered. Also, I'm no expert with this so please use this as a helping hand and not a must do list. experiment with things for what will work best for you. Oh yeah I almost forgot...this stuff STINKS!!!! :tongue:

brookswife803

I'm so impressed with how your blanks turned out! The metallic sheen really shines in each of the three colors and I love how you were able to almost segment each color so that they blend just at the edges. Really phenomenal work! Your pen is so much better made than mine and a wonderful finish. It looks made of glass its so smooth! Excellent job and I want one of your blanks. :)

JohnU

Great Job, especially for being your third pour! I think your on to something and can see this being a seller for you. Hope you keep pouring! lol

Penl8the

Oh yeah I almost forgot...this stuff STINKS!!!! :tongue:

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for the reply. I cut and paste your answer, and save it in a word doc. already.

Yes, the smell "was" a problem for me.

But I sort of solved the problem with a Home Depot 5 gallon pail with lid. After pouring I put the mold in the pail, close the lid (the lid really does seal nicely, air tight in fact) and place the pail in the furnace room or some place where it has a constant temperature.

When the PR is ready/cured, I open the pail in my garage so the trapped air will escape in the garage instead in my workshop.

An inexpensive option to contain the smell - I think the pail only cost ~$4 CDN$.

Now I have more dumb questions:

• Where would one buy "metallic mica powder"? From a hobby shop?
  • What brand do you use? Sometime it is easier for me to ask in a store/hobby shop by "name brand"
  • Do you favour one brand over another brand?
Thanks again Johnathon

Smokey7385

Hi Jonathon,

• What brand do you use? Sometime it is easier for me to ask in a store/hobby shop by "name brand"
Thanks again Johnathon

Most folks use Pearl Ex from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. You can also get it here:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1933-AA.shtml

Brooks803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penl8the
Hi Jonathon,

Thanks again Johnathon

Most folks use Pearl Ex from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. You can also get it here:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1933-AA.shtml

I buy my powders from this website: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm
It's a makeup supply company, but they sell the powders separately. If you look on the left hand side under "makeup ingredients" you'll have MANY to choose from. The sample baggies are awesome to try out at first. Best part is that they DO ship to Canada (worldwide actually). I do use the "macro pearl" PearlEx if I want to try to get some more pop in my mixes, but so far I haven't needed to add any with these powders. Hope this helps! Also, Thanks for the tip with the sealed bucket. Always good to have a backup plan if needed.

Penl8the

Top Bottom