Early People Virage; including handmade paper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A cultural anthropologist friend asked for a pen depicting early people. I got a bit carried away. She loves the pen.

First I made some paper - here's the basic technique:
Thailand Kozo fiber simmered x 2 hours at pH10-11 (alkalinized with soda ash - all of this is done outside with proper safety precautions); then the fiber is rinsed very well, then beaten to a pulp with meat hammers, blended gently with some internal sizing (alkyl ketene dimer) to fine tune the water absorbtion properties), turned into sheets with a mold and deckle (standard washi paper making technique - and Helen Hiebert has written some great books explaining the techniques), then pressed the newborn paper between sheets of blotter paper with a simply-constructed 2 ton bottle press; then air-dried them:
attachment.php

I was about to make a linocut depicting early people to block print onto the handmade paper - but then I found a very nice texture sheet on https://www.cooltools.us/ so i "inked" the texture sheet with Jacquard teal color iridescent airbrush acrylic paint, and transferred the image to the handmade paper with a 4" rubber brayer; blew the monoprint dry; then "ancientized" it (questionable verb) with Ranger Distress inks. I then airbush-sealed it with Createx clear top gloss acrylic, and blew that dry.
I then ran it through a Xyron Adjustable 9" Creative Station to apply a layer of permanent adhesive to the back of the handmade paper; cut the rectangles to size; then pulled off the backing and wrapped them around the acetone-cleaned brass tubes; airbrushed a final layer of Createx Gloss Acrylic onto the wrapped tubes (air-dried them x 2 days); then tube-in cast them with Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting resin, adding some copper flakes in hopes of providing a (very) little bit of modesty to the early people; and finally turned and finished them as usual:
attachment.php

This cap close-up view confirms that the flakes provided minimal modesty (will try micro-fig leaves next time):
attachment.php

The techniques invite further exploration.

Happy Saturday to all - Bob

Attachments

• PenReadyPaper,markison,800px.jpg
    PenReadyPaper,markison,800px.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 604
  • EarlyPeoplePen,markison2017,800px.jpg
    EarlyPeoplePen,markison2017,800px.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 611
  • EarlyPeoplePen,markison2017,CUofCap,800px.jpg
    EarlyPeoplePen,markison2017,CUofCap,800px.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

I often think about the amount of time invested in each pen I make and then shrug when I put a price on it. I'm just happy to make enough money to pay for its materials as well as that of the next pen. Self-perpetuating vicious circle, love every minute of it. With that in mind Bob, if you ever were to sell this pen how many thousands of dollars would it cost?

Great process, great pen!

magpens

VERY nice work, Bob !!!!! . Very original !!

Somewhat amused at the immodest (i.e. random) distribution of flakes !

Your artistic talent seems to know no bounds! That is one beautiful and impressive display of workmanship.

I'm happy just not sanding through a CA finish...

budnder

Way cool.

I'm curious about the copper flake, as I would think it would either float or sink, but it looks like it dispersed nicely around the blank. Did you have to manipulate it much to get that to happen?

Cwalker935

Fantastic! I got lost between how you made the paper and when you cleaned the tubes with acetone, but I sure do like the results. What the heck is a brayer? I see a google search ahead.

OZturner

Another Magnificent "Work of Art" Bob,
Now it seems that you have added "Alchemy", to your Never Ending List of Talented Achievements.
This Pen is Inspiring, and Undoubtedly Impractical, for most of us.
Your Breadth of Knowledge, on so many Artistic Fields, is Bewildering.
Not only your Knowledge, but your Practical Ability in the Applying that Knowledge.
This is Surely a Most Unique Pen.
Congratulations, My Friend,
Brian.

Last edited:

Mrbbcrafting

WOW

That is such a talent that it amazes me, to have the knowledge to think of something like this and then let alone to come up with it and develop it and nuture it, truly astounds me. I am lucky if I can get the square peg in round hole, wait backwards... but you sir have me humbled. That is truly amazing work. If I can learn a 1/100th of what you have shown I will feel like I have achieved something.. You sir are a genius to Pen Turners..

Bob in SF

Humble heartfelt thanks to all for the kind comments!

Roy - the copper flakes play well with PR - just stir well and accept the randomness.

I pressure cast at 50psi.

Steve - Unsure how to answer the $ question - this one was bartered for a wonderful symposium about ancient South American civilizations - including their arts and crafts - priceless to me as old meets new in my own little quest.

Happy Monday to all - Bob

bpgoldo

Bob, once again you have elevated a pen, a commission, a craft, and this site to a level of art and education that we all aspire to. Thank you.

Top Bottom