On Eagle's Wing of Woven Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMGg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMGg

Gerry Rhoades crafted and posted this pen using a blank he obtained from Eagle:

GentWaveFP.jpg

Eagle's blank in that pen is called a Wave blank.
He made another blank using Maple, Walnut, Walnut, Maple; he sent it to me to make
a pen. What a joy and blessing to have completed this pen. His blank is a masterful
work. It is the equivalent of 4 Wave blanks; there are 154 pieces of wood in the blank glued up in 8 different gluing sessions. There are 148 strips of veneer with a glued up "base blank" to try to get diamonds of different colors.
It requires more than 2 ounces of CA to make the blank.

I've had the blank several weeks and have been waiting for a Beall Collect chuck to drill it; got one and it didn't fit the lathe.
Bernie stopped by my home on his way back from Eagle's and had his mini and BCC with him, so we drilled the blank and I turned it.

My photos were taken in natural light and in the last one you can see a ring of light that's a reflection off the finished blank.
The kit is a Rhodium/22K Gold Jr. Statesman Fountain Pen.

I hope this does it justice:

EagleWWe.jpg

EagleWWg.jpg

EagleWWf.jpg

EagleWWa.jpg

All comments and criticisms welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bluewing92

A beautiful pen. I was there when Gary put the finish on this pen. Believe me when I say that as good as the pictures are they still don’t do it justice. The depth and shine of the finish is exquisite.

As for the blank. It was another Eagle masterpiece.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Not sure I would have enough nerve to drill a blank like that, even on the lathe. Ditto Norm's comment. A masterpiece of design and execution. Well done to both of you and thanks for sharing.

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful!

You know, I love the fact that there are weirdos (like me) who actually travel around with a lathe. You know, just in case traffic gets backed up and you have a few extra minutes...hehe[:D]

GaryMGg

Thanks all and Cav, thank you for noticing.
I had almost every plating made on hand and I just knew this was the right one.
My photos really DO NOTHING for this pen.

Y'all know I didn't post Gerry's pen photo to compare them for looks or beauty; his pen is so striking as to be in a class by itself. The reason for including it was to show how the blank can evolve. And, I know some folks said the woven wave is too busy. However, when you hold the pen and rotate it, you can easily get lost in the craftsmanship of the blank. Individuals who've seen this who are also furniture makers or luthiers have held the pen and literally stared at it for minutes trying to discern how it was done.

Some lucky person is going to own one hell of a pen.

[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom