Eagle's Guinea Pigs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NavyDiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyDiver

A couple weeks ago, Eagle asked for a guinea pig for an experiment. He got three for the price of one. You may have already seen Josh's pen in the Penturning forum. Here is his younger brother Daniel's work.

2006112225949_Daniel%20Cross%20Pen.jpg

Daniel is 11 and has been turning since August. This was turned completely by himself except for a little help on the tenon by Josh.

200611223125_Daniel%20Cross%20Pen%20Top.jpg

Here is a shot of the two pens together.

200611223156_Daniel%20and%20Josh%20pens%20close.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twoofakind

Wow, I can't even imagine an eleven year old creating something like that. Eagle is doing a great job on the blanks, and your sons did a fantastic job on their pens. Well done to all of you.
Andy

jjenk02

I'm jealous, I've been turning for about 6 months now and I don't think I do as good a job as your boys. You and they have a right to be proud of yourselfs!!!!

melogic

Beautiful Job! I think it is great to see young people getting in to things such as turning pens. With the world we live in today and everything that there is for kids to get drawn into and they choose this great art and spending time with family, that says a lot. My daughter is 15 and we started turning pens when she was 12 and we love it just as much today as we did then.
My hat is off to all of you Eric, Daniel and Josh. Keep up the great work!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Daniel you did a beautiful job on that pen!I already sent you my reaction in an e-mail.Both of you boys showed me something I suspected all along.I don't do anything special.To turn a blank susch as this takes a little care a patience but you don't need a magic wand,Though as I look at both pens there is something magical about them.
(In case any one is wondering what happened to Navy divers blank,he got to turn a true experiment and it came out great.I am making a few changes to the design and I am sure he will post it when I ask him to.)
To all the Anderson Pencrafters my heartfelt appreciation and thanks.
You made "Operation Guinea Pig" a success![:D]

Edit in
(Daniels pen is made from sycamore bloodwood and Holly.The wood/color selection was NavyDivers choice.This is the first I made in this combination but there will be others.The desiganation of this combination will be EDA and a number the sequence with start with #2.i.e. The next one I make will be EDA-2)

NavyDiver

Eagle,
Thanks for the opportunity to work with your blanks. Like you said, anyone, even a novice turner, can turn one of your blanks without being intimidated. I think of the three pens, Daniel's is my favorite. I was out of town last week and didn't get to watch him make it, but was very impressed with the results. I definitely recommend these blanks to anyone interested in creating one of these beautiful pens. [:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eric,

Great work by the boys!! It is wonderful that you have a father/sons hobby to work on together.

I have to say that I was intimidated by my special order cross blank. I could just see my skew exploding the inlay. However, with regular thin CA applications to the inlay during turning it turned great. I don't have the kit I want for it yet, and am doing a lacquer finish so it isn't ready to post yet.

Again, great job by the boys and I KNOW you are extremely proud of them! (BTW, my daughter finished boot camp and is in Pensacola for "A" school.)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Excellent work, young men!!

I have to ask. Is that the pen that got stuck on the mandrel??? If so, I'll bet you were all sweating a bit!!!

NavyDiver

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Excellent work, young men!!

I have to ask. Is that the pen that got stuck on the mandrel??? If so, I'll bet you were all sweating a bit!!!

Luckily, no. The boys had an order for 10 pens from a local businessman, and it was the last of those. They wanted to get finished before we left town for the weekend. We managed to get it off last night. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom