Eagle with a 3 color pine cone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hi fellas,my third cast is pinecones eagle.Black,gold,and silver.This casting stuff is pretty fun.Comments,critiques welcomed.

Attachments

• DSCF3277.jpg
    DSCF3277.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF3278.jpg
    DSCF3278.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 250
  • b.g.s.pinecone.jpg
    b.g.s.pinecone.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 292
  • b.g.s. pinecone2.jpg
    b.g.s. pinecone2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF3283.jpg
    DSCF3283.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF3284.jpg
    DSCF3284.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

The pen looks amazing! I so have to try some pine cones (just got my first can of resin, now trying to figure out what to use for molds). Is there any special prep needed of the pine cones, drying, etc?

Regards,
Michael

Dale Lynch

Thanks ladies and gents.

Michael,I use a ziplock container,it doesn't stick to it but you doo loose about a half oz in the groove around the base.The cones were ones I picked off the ground in colorado last year so they were dry,no prep I just put then in a container added resins.Put it in a pressure tank with a 10# walnut blank on top of the cones to keep them pressed into the mold.50 psi overnight.

mecompco

Thanks ladies and gents.

Michael,I use a ziplock container,it doesn't stick to it but you doo loose about a half oz in the groove around the base.The cones were ones I picked off the ground in colorado last year so they were dry,no prep I just put then in a container added resins.Put it in a pressure tank with a 10# walnut blank on top of the cones to keep them pressed into the mold.50 psi overnight.

Thanks for the info! Didn't think about a ziplock container--that's brilliant. Been looking at the threads on making molds but it looks complicated. Don't have a pressure pot--any reason this wouldn't work w/o one? Any finish needed, or do you just sand and buff like acrylic? I have a yard full of pine cones, acorns, etc. just waiting to become blanks. :)

Regards,
Michael

Dale Lynch

Michael,the ziplock containers were my wifes idea,I asked her to get me some cheap mixing cups.

Only being my 3rd cast I don't have the expertise to give a definite answer.I don't know if the resin would get into all the tiny crevices w/o pressure.

I used a CA finish to clearcoat the barrels,you could feel the transitions between cone and resin without a finish.

Top Bottom