Dymondwood Father Sing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jb_pratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

My 6 year old son wanted to work with me and make a pen for himself; so he spent a considerable amount of time looking through the Craft Supplies catalog selecting a pen kit and the type of wood. Here is what we ended up with: A 10k Father Sing pen made out of Olympic Dymondwood. Sanded through 12,000 mm 4 coats of BLO/CA, 2 coats of TSW and on coat of Renaissance wax.

2005527165326_dymondwoodweb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wait...your 6-year-old turned THAT???? That's better than most of mine! OK, looks like its time to find a new hobby.

tipusnr

Defintely a nice looking pen. Were the two pieces cut from the same blank? I ask because there is a white layer missing from between the blue and red just above the centerband! Not a problem of any sort - just the kind of anomaly that catches my eye. Makes the pen even more one of a kind.

jb_pratt

I’d love to say that my son did this all by himself but he had some significant help from Dad. [:)]

William as for the “missing†white layer(by the center band), this is the first time I have turned Dymondwood. When I got the piece from CUSA it had instructions to cut the blank on diagonal, glue the diagonal pieces together, then you can cut 3 blanks from the piece. So this was the first attempt. Thanks all for your comments.

WoodChucker

Wow, he did a fantastic job on that pen! I'd want him to make another one and keep that one in a safe place. Can you imagine when he's 20 years old and is able to tell people he made that when he was 6 years old! Nice job little guy! [;)]

Your son did a terriffic job. Thanks for Dad's taking time to spend it with his son. It will pay big dividends in the future. Hold them close while they are young.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom