dymond wood sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ranchonodinero

Turned some sierras in "dymond" wood. Finish was tripoli, buff, white diamond, buff, plastic polish then buff. Except for the purple one where a CA finish was applied. Can't really see any difference-it didn't seem to want to take the CA finish that well. I turned them a bit so the lamination is more visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0664 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0664 (Small).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0661 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0661 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlofton

Verry nice pens, Marty. Is the Dymond Wood hard or soft. I imagine a little of the hard side because of all the brinding glue.

Thanks!

It is hard and dulls tools quickly. If you turn it too fast it gets too hot. Most of it has a lot of resin; I have some more "woody" looking pieces that seem to have less resin. I used some on a shaving brush handle and it is holding up very well. By the way, the multi colored pen looks like the suckers you sometimes see in Mexican food restaurants-my daughter claimed it right away and I had to "borrow" it from her in order to take the picture.

Last edited:

bitshird

Nice looking pens, I heard you don't have to do much in the way of coating the dymondwood, just turn it sand it and buff it, but it did sound too good to be accurate.

It really seems to work better just buffed without CA. I wasn't happy with the CA finish on the purple one today and there was an unexplained rough spot on the finish. I went back and sanded with 320 and then used micromesh. No finish this time, just tripoli and white diamond and it works great. Very easy to finish. It's not for everyone, but it is different.

Top Bottom