Dyed and Stabilized Laminated Strand Lumber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a new pen I just finished this evening. I have a meting tomorrow with a client and their architect to finalize the details for a new home and I make it a habit to give a pen to the project manager architect that I will be working with. I had a LSL beam left over from another home I built so I decided to see what it would look like dyed and stabilized. I think the architect will like it, what do you think?

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• LSL1.jpg
    LSL1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 537
  • LSL2.jpg
    LSL2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 119
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks very cool Curtis. I would never had guessed what it was.
If it's the same stuff I'm thinking of, then I can't understand how you managed to dye some strands and not others? Isn't it already compressed and glued?:confused:
I'm sure that the architect will really love it:biggrin:

el_d

Pretty Darn sweet. I would have never guessed it also with the stuff you come up with...... Kinda looks like a bandage wrapped mummy.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am not the one that came up with using this type of construction lumber. Folks have posted pics of pens made with it before. I don't think I have seen any dyed and stabilized, however.

Skippy, the varying densities of the wood caused the variations in color. All I did was stabilize it in blue dyed Resinol 90C and the parts that are not colored are the strands that were too dense to accept the solution. The colors in the pic are true to life, even though I used a dark blue dye.

Thanks for the comments!

cnirenberg

Curtis,
That is great. I have a piece of joist somewhere in the mess in my garage, never crossed my mind to stabilize and dye it. It came out great. I'm sure they will both like it.

jyreene

Nice looking pen Curtis. You should consider adding that blank to your site if it wasn't too difficult or expensive to do.

Top Bottom