Dyed Spalted Hackberry Tapa Pacifica

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is one of my favorite pens to carry right now. It is a multiple dyed spalted hackberry Tapa Pacifica with a CA finish. The picture just does not capture the captivating patterns and depth you see when looking at it up close! It almost has a holographic effect where the color changes when you change position of the pen.

Any commenst, good or bad are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DyedHBSierra3-3.jpg
    DyedHBSierra3-3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 346
  • DyedHBSierra3-4.jpg
    DyedHBSierra3-4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Closeup1.jpg
    Closeup1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 344
  • closeup2.jpg
    closeup2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BruceA

Question about photo details

Curtis,
What material are you using for your photo backdrop? Is that black acrylic?

I was looking at Lowe's today for clay tiles, floor tiles, and even the pre-cut flooring as possible backgrounds. Got a few pieces to play with. Your black looks appealing.

Regarding your tinted blanks...I've got a batch of spalted maple blanks ordered from Isaacrapele. Would you consider running a batch of @ 20 blanks through your dying/tinting process ?? Those ones you have for sale are gorgeous!

Thanks
Bruce in TN.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

BruceA...I don't think my process would work well for maple. I use some of the worst punky spalted hackberry I can get. The stuff that no one would mess with is the stuff I need. The varying colors are a result of the varying density of the very soft, punky wood and I don't think maple is going to be soft enough. Unless of course it is really punky too.

Grizz

Banned
Oh that is really nice. Amazing colors and a real fine job with the turning.

bitshird

That is some killer looking wood, hard to believe most people would just throw it in the trash, takes a man of vision to see what's really there, and I think you saw it.

Top Bottom