Dyed soft maple burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Used a brown mahogany water based dye on this soft maple burl. I'm going to try more colors, but really like the dark colors.

Rich

20041252459_dyedmapleburl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gotta love the color and finish! And why is it that I can't make that danged Mont Blanc style kit like the rest of you do?

tipusnr

Good pen. I originally thought of dyes for woods that weren't all that spectacular to begin with but am now rethinking that since seeing your burl.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
In our description of the pen you state that you used a 'brown mahogany' water based dye, but in my browser the pen looks 'red'....did the brown dye make it come out red or is my browser playing games...?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

low_48

It did come up too red, I worked with the sharpness on the scanner, maybe I should try it again. I did try it several more times, but the scanner will just not pick up the brown well.

Sorry!!!! Rich

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mahogany dye has a significant amount of red in it. The light in your scanner is picking up too much of it. You should be able to adjust the color with your software until it looks like what you see.

woodwish

Since the color just won't come out right on the computer you could send each of us one of them to look at, and perhaps keep as a sample for future reference? Just an idea! :)

low_48

Oh, that would be nice! 700 pens at $35 each, that would be $24,500. If each of you would send a check, I'll get started tomorrow!!!! What's that, you want a free sample? Never mind, that's something completely different.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom