Dyed Figured Maple Cigar Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodguy1975

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

Well, I've been reading this forum for a while and figured it is time for my first post. I've been working on dyed pens as a way to have colorful pens that are wood based. These are examples of what I've been doing. The first was dyed with a simple blue sharpie and the second was a green sharpie with a little blue mixed into the rag of MEK for a blended multicolor look. The quick wipe of MEK blends the dye to a more uniform coverage on the blank without making to too dark. Alcohol might have worked too, but I knew MEK works.

The finish is a CA finish with MM and a quick coat of TSW.

So, what do you think?

200542351656_BLUEDYEDMAPLE.jpg

200542352245_GREEN-BLUE-BLEND.jpg

Thanks,

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great job John...I love the blue-green one!! Got a funny story bout dyeing with Sharpies...Bought a multi-color pack at Staples couple of weeks ago wanted to try our hand at dyeing some Maple. Turned the pen(I know.... shoulda tried it on a blank first) Let Connie help me pick some colors...added a few of my own. Then we made our mistake ..friction polish...made all the darker colors bleed all over the lighter ones...looked a mess. I went and finished it out, figuring my niece would like it. Anyway Connie ended up grabbing it up and taking it to work one day. Was using it and the lady she works with as well as the Antique Store owners partner went nuts over the pen, Said you should charge a high price for that one .it's unique!I told her ,"hell sell it to him", after all he's the same one who bought one of my Dymondwood pens just because it was one of the most expensive in the case!There's just no accounting for taste, anyway here's the pen.

200542355825_sharpierainbow.jpg
<br />

dougle40

IMHO , I think the MEK did a nice job of softening the colors . Looks very pastel like .
I worked with MEK for years and if I were you , I'd find something else to use , not only will it give you a cheap high but it's a carcinogenic as well .

woodguy1975

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />IMHO , I think the MEK did a nice job of softening the colors . Looks very pastel like .
I worked with MEK for years and if I were you , I'd find something else to use , not only will it give you a cheap high but it's a carcinogenic as well .

You're right about MEK. Alcohol will work pretty good too, but I knew from work that MEK would do it. I wouldn't recommend anyone using it for this purpose. I am careful and did wear a respirator and used gloves when using it to blend the colors. The fumes are terrible especially when you get exposed enough to taste it in your mouth.

Thanks to everyone for the great welcome. I'll be sticking around for a while. [8D]

Thanks,

John

www.jsrwoodworking.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom