Dyed Chestnut - critiques welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Here are a couple of pictures of Americana Rollerballs I made from Dyed Chestnut. Interesting wood. The top photo is dyed black. The blank outside was jet black, but it lightened up as I turned it. The green blank did not lighten up as much. Both blanks came from CSUSA.

200521732817_Black%20Chestnut.jpg

200521732845_Green%20Chestnut.jpg

Comments are welcome -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Ken,
As one who is still in the early stages of my training (I'd be lucky to get a white belt at this stage), they look great! Is the metal piece at the bottom of the black/blue one offset by a bit? From a critique perspective, that's about all I can see wrong! :)

- Jim

Gary

I was wondering that too, it looks like the trim ring is on the wrong end of the barrel in the lower photo.

Gary

OK...creative license.[:)] Just for reference, you might ant to look at the assembly instructions and how the pen was designed to go together.

Originally posted by KKingery
<br />Actually, they can go at either end. I prefer the black accent at the bottom, since the middle portion of the pen has a black accent from the band.

dougle40

Nice pens Ken . I've never turned Chestnut for a pen , did a bowl out of it once , but it almost looks like some of the curly Maple that I've dyed before although that could almost be considered Tiger Maple .

PenWorks

You did a good job on the pens Ken. Not sure about the dyed chesnut. I have cut some spectacular blanks out of that stuff, but the majority of them, have been in the ho/hum range and I never put them together. I haven't bought any more because of that. I'll spend my money on something that's a better bet.

tipusnr

Nice pens! I'm curious about the banding on the chestnut. None of it that I have turned has done that. Is that the wood, the dye, or the turning, causing the darker bands in the wood? Maybe they aren't as noticeable in person as somethings are exaggerated in the graphics conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom