Dyed Blue turned Green Cypres Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I tried to dye this blank Blue, It looked Blue on the outside but the more I turned away the greener it got. I am still happy with it, with all the spalting running through it. It has a CA / BLO finish MM to 12000 on a Chrome Cigar.
Any Comments or Suggestions Welcome, Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• Dyed Green 001_edited-1.jpg
    Dyed Green 001_edited-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Dyed Green 012_edited-1.jpg
    Dyed Green 012_edited-1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Dyed Green 013_edited-2.jpg
    Dyed Green 013_edited-2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

Food coloring.....hmmm, interesting. I would like to see those when they are done. Is there a forum for dying woods? I could not find one, but I would like to learn more about this as I have a ton of plain spalted wood laying around. This is a great idea to make them more interesting.

ldb2000

Food coloring works great to dye wood . Just turn your blank to size and finish sand then apply a few drops to the blank and rub into the surface until you get an even color then apply your finish . It doesn't penetrate very far into the wood so any sanding will take some off . It does give some very vivid colors .
This pen was done with Blue food coloring http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=10953

ngeb528

Here's a double dyed maple using food coloring. I think it works great.

Attachments

• Dbl Dyed Maple.jpg
    Dbl Dyed Maple.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

ldb2000

Your finish is fantastic Max , Great job . I really like that color and that is some nice spalted wood you started with . I've never seen spalted cypress , what color is it naturaly?

Top Bottom