Dunno Wood...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

I got some freebie blanks of this wood at the Southeast Bubbasville confrence...

Just wondering what wood this is...

2006929141440_112DonoWoodPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Flamable?

Beats me, but glad to see the WalMart pen alive and well. You need to check out some on Ebay, the medical pens. They have the metal tips and no seam in the 'chrome' part. Probably a little more 'expensive', but not bad.

underdog

And while you're at it.. tell me what the yellow block of wood is? I've looked and looked, but can't find a match for it anywhere. I should make a better pic of it...

20069291942_DunnoWoodendgrain.jpg
<br />

200692919419_DunnoWoodsidegrain.jpg
<br />

underdog

Thanks Skye,

That's the result of trashing two Cherry blanks, and salvaging them for one pen. Took most of a morning...(eyeroll)

Mesquite or Jatoba huh? I've got a bit of Mesquite still in the bark, I'll have to cut into it to see... It sure is pretty whatever it is... Skye you have some of this you took home inna box.. I'm not sure about the Mahogany. There are too many stripes in it, and I just noticed that the photo doesn't show that. Although it is similar.

I did a search on "medical pens" on eBay. I'll need more specifics on that. There were such a variety of pens that came up, I haven't a clue....

About the block... I dunno bout the Osage Orange. (I adjusted the color a bit and might have got it a bit too yellow/orange also. It's close though.) I've had some club members look at it, and they didn't know what it was either. And they would have recognized Osage Orange. It's a real soft wood that really cuts nice, and seems to polish well too...

underdog

Mulberry? I thought Mulberry was darker brown with a pronounced grain pattern. This has no real color variation that I can see. I'm thinking it's a tropical or warm climate tree...

Might be Canary...

Skye here's another with a little shape:
200693042148_MapleWalnutPen.jpg

BigRob777

I'm with Billy on the mulberry. It's a cousin of osage (there is a crack, but it looks more opengrained than the cousins). It could also be smoketree. Rich Kleinhenz knows that wood better than I do. I wish I had time to take pics of them all, as I've got them in my shop. I do know that it isn't canary. My house is lopsided with the stuff. It also isn't yellowheart, though nobody mentioned that one yet. Are those pock marks open grain?
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom