The Duke of Burl plus one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. This is my second favorite burl. Titanium Gold Sierra in Afzelia burl, two dips in the lacquer bath, TSW and Ren Wax.

2005129233755_sierraTG_afzeliaburl.jpg

While I was at it I decided to throw in a Satin Gold Sierra in Bocote, lacquer dipped, TSW and Ren Wax.

2005129233959_sierraSG_bocote.jpg

Thanks for taking time to check them out. Any and all comments always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
They are both winners, Billy. I give a slight nod to the Afzelia burl since it is one of my favorites also. I have a nice TG cigar I made out of a blank I got from Ernie. I'll have to move the wife's Christmas wrapping station enough to set up my photo cube and take a pix or two.

One question, though. I thought Ren Wax amd TSW served basically the same purpose. Although I can't argue with your results, why do you choose to use both?

TIA,

alamocdc

Thanks, Cav. To be honest, I just thought I was supposed to. TSW is a building product, or so I've heard from Lou, and Ren Wax is good at keeping finger prints down. If I'm doing it wrong, I'd certainly appreciate someone telling me. [:D] I do love TSW though! I just wish I hadn't waited so long to try it.

M

Mudder

Only criticism I could possibly give is that the Afzelia burl is not on it's way to me. That's one nice looking pen.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Billy,

I don't really know. When I started using TSW, I gave the rest of my Ren wax away. The recipient would have preferred some TSW, but understood the beggars/choosers story. [:)] I just prefer my fingers to remind me of pina coladas rather than the petroleum smell.

Nice looking pens, Billy. I agree w/ William about the Ren & TSW, only one is necessary. Your choice of names for your pens would suggest that you are getting up in years. [;)] Love doo-wap & 60s & 70s music. [:D]

Thumbs

Billy, never having used a lacquer, when you dip the whole blank and tube into it, is there any build up problem on the inside of the tube? Do you get any build up from numerous immersions on the outside of the blank? I'm sure the lacquer is of a thin consistency but I have no experience with the stuff so I'm wondering about any possible problems with its use other than curing/drying time. Thanks.[?]

alamocdc

Thanks, Gerry! Yes, I'm actually dipping them. See my post under the finishing forum. Bob, I don't usually get much lacquer inside the tube. The same post mentioned above should explain. I will dip from one to four times depending on the wood and what type of finish I'm trying to achieve. For example, the Afzelia burl above has three coats, while the Bocote has only one. When they have the particular effect I'm looking for, I stop. I should note here that you cannot succesfully wet sand only one dipping coat, or even two usually, but the finish is usually smooth enough that automotive polishing compound (not rubbing compound) will smooth any blemishes out. I follow this up w/plastic polish if I want a high sheen. The consistency is rather syrupy. I don't thin it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom