duh.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernhills

Americana FP,1st one i tried,big lesson,paint tubes,don`t know what to do to get it to write.All and all it was my best effort at turning the acrylic,BB which was hard for me cause i needed to leave room for chip outs when i first started out with this product.. Carl

2007121220404_Hpim0340.jpg

20071212204026_Hpim0341.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Heya Carl

Is this your first acrylic?

I went through a period of trying nearly all the different tools trying to find the one that worked best on acrylic... I now use a bowl gounge at first, just to get it round, then I switch to a round nose scraper... really sharp... and finish with a skew... seems to work pretty good now and not any chip out of problems to speak of...

R2

G,da Carl. Good result especially consider the problems you describe with acrylics.[:)]
I use whatever I have that is really sharp, Except aspindle gouge (detail gouge). Final tool is round nose scraper then I get on with the sanding. Haven't made aperfect one yet but they are getting better.

GaryMGg

I turn acrylics with the sharpest skew I can put my hands to while turning as fast as the lathe will go.
See if there are any more CDs available from Poppers N Pens showing Ed Brown's demo.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
For yet another method: I rough the blank with a sharp 1/4" wide parting tool. It knocks the corners down the easiest and quickest without chips (for me). I use that down to about 1/8" above the bushings then I switch to a sharp roughing gouge for the rest of the turning. If I could figure out how to use a skew well I would probably use that but I haven't had any luck yet so I stick to the simpler tools. Lastly I use a sanding block behind my first courses of sand paper so knock out any unevenness caused by the tools (yah, it's all the tools' fault).

GK
ps to get it working go outside and give it a little shake like you are trying to throw the ink to the tip. Then wipe it clean and start writing.

Federman

Originally posted by Marc Phillips
<br />Heya Carl

Is this your first acrylic?

I went through a period of trying nearly all the different tools trying to find the one that worked best on acrylic... I now use a bowl gounge at first, just to get it round, then I switch to a round nose scraper... really sharp... and finish with a skew... seems to work pretty good now and not any chip out of problems to speak of...

I use the same method with acrylics just get some snags when the tools become dull so stopping every once in a while to sharpen takes care of that.

gwilki

Carl
Like many of the others, I use a very sharp skew for acrylics. As for colouring the tubes, you may want to try that and painting the inside of the blank. If you just colour the tubes, you can sometimes see glue bubbles through the blank.

rherrell

Don't worry about it. I still sometimes get in a hurry and glue in the tubes without painting them. I used to save them, but I got tired of looking at them and chucked them all. Now when I do it I just turn them down and at least save the brass. Aggrevatin' aint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom