Dual Closed End Jr. Statesman in Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I finally did it and moved up a small step!:biggrin: I made a dual closed ended Jr. Statesman in Amboyna Burl. My wooden cap finial initially looked like a conehead and I slowly tapered it down. I tried to keep all components of the pen in proportion to each other. Finished down to 600 grit and then 8 coats of medium CA/BLO. I hope everyone is starting out with a good weekend. As always, thank you for looking!:) Doc

Attachments

• Jr Statesman Dual Closed End in Amboyna Burl_1.jpg
    Jr Statesman Dual Closed End in Amboyna Burl_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 208
  • Jr Statesman Dual Closed End in Amboyna Burl_2.jpg
    Jr Statesman Dual Closed End in Amboyna Burl_2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

That really tickled my fancy, beautiful piece of wood, the only thing that would have made it better would have been to make it a hidden clip. But that Ain't No Thang.

Tanner

Good job on both closed ends. I haven't done a cap closed end. I guess I'll have to look around for a tutorial or just start taking stuff apart. Thanks for sharing.

Kaspar

Really stunning pen. GORGEOUS piece of wood. Great work. Wow.

That really tickled my fancy, beautiful piece of wood, the only thing that would have made it better would have been to make it a hidden clip. But that Ain't No Thang.

One little nitpick along the lines of the above quote. I don't think it can be called a double closed end unless the finial end of the cap, like the pen, is a seamless, single piece. Is it? Because if a two piece, barrel and finial cap makes for a closed end cap, nearly every pen I've ever done is closed end.

Though I hate to even bring this up because it is such a great looking pen.

wizard

Thanks for the compliments! Eric, I think you are correct about not having two truly closed ends. I just never thought about it that way...shucks now I get to learn some more :). I want to try doing a hidden clip next. I downloaded two articles that Caleb pointed me to. I've been looking at Eric's and Caleb's pens to give me an idea for what the completed pen should look like. By the way, both of you are truly gifted. Trying to decide whether it would be easier to start with a resin or wood to learn? or is there a difference? If anyone else has any suggestions, advice about hidden clips let me know..

Last edited:

shawnmhill

Doc, that is absolutely gorgeous! Hope I can progress to your level someday. That's no longer a pen, it's an instrument for writing. Awesome

Top Bottom