Duaghter's First

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

Well our daughter has been after me to show her how to make a pen. She wanted it posted right away so the photo was quick and dirty.
This was her first time to put a tool to wood on the lathe. She turned the whole thing with a fingernail gouge and did the CA finish. Her finger's are a little crusty from the CA but none the worse for wear. The blank was a piece of redwood burl from Rockler that we had around for a while. It shocked us how nice the blank was when we saw the two tone.

20087172550_erinpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Mike, do I see a new tag line and a third lathe in your future?

That remains to be seen, however I will say this .. she did a pretty good job and didn't get side tracked as much as she sometimes does.
I would say that she probably WILL NOT end up with her own lathe given that she is currently a college student working between 2 different employers and looking to add a 3rd. She'll be 20 in August and is hoping to get her own place soon & spread those wings just a bit more.
It was really awesome though to see her and daddy sharing some quality time and doing something that most 19 year old girls would just turn their noses up to!!!!! This is a young lady who has always spent a lot of time with us and got her scuba certification so we could all dive together.

Daddy did a good job too, btw ... he didn't get frustrated or take over for her etc.

I say "KUDOS" all the way around and I'm VERY proud of my two turner's on this one :D

Love Ya's Mrs.

toolcrazy

That is a beautiful pen. Your daughter should be very proud.

I still have the pen my daughter turned for me as a present. The very one that got me hooked on this craft.

Fred

Excellent first time pen. Be sure that you keep it or that she doesn't let it go away someplace. The kit and the wood go very well together. Tell her she did a jam up tight good job! :D

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike & Linda , thanks alot ! I'm going into withdrawals now . I looked at her first pen , and I looked at MY last pen . WHAT have I missed ???? [:eek:)] Beautiful work ! And I feel your pride !:)

Top Bottom