Drywall pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

Here's my latest chrome Sierra DRYWALL(sort of) pen that was made for a friend of mine that sells this new product:

"Revolutionary solid improvement, when used in lieu of gypsum drywall and/or cement board, that is usable for all indoor and outdoor purposes. Provides hard, long lasting walls that look and feel like hard cement plastering but fireproof and resistant to damage from water, humidity, freezing, organisms, chlorine, salt and more. Excellent for sound proofing applications. The ideal wallboard for pool buildings, garages, kitchen and wet areas or any of the more demanding locations in buildings".

In summary this product will probably displace drywall in the market place since it offers so many advantages. The sheet product cuts on the bandsaw with ease and drills without effort. I did not notice any significant wear on my gouge and skew that were used to turn it down to form. The pen blank turned with ease and the turning 'residue' was completely in dust form. Wearing a respirator is a must when turning this product. Particles become airborne in an instant and you certainly don't want to inhale in your lungs. Best way to describe the turning experience, is that it's like someone turning a solidified chunk of cement. Sanding (down to 800 GR) assisted in giving me a smooth surface that was finally sealed with buffed turtle car wax.
Your comments (nay-yay) are of course welcomed.

2008612234652_P1010001.jpg

2008612234712_P1010006.jpg

2008612234729_P1010016.jpg

2008612234748_P1010018.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The picts look like a poor man's antler (the marrow). ;) Then again it looks a little like concrete. ;) I like the creative usages people are trying. And I appreciate those who are not afraid to post them. :)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
While interesting to experiment, not sure I'd do it again , if it were me. Nice try at something I've never seen before. Perhaps I know why.[}:)]

bkersten

Originally posted by turned_for_good

Not a big fan of it now, but if you could get a little smoother looking surface and possably dye them (I'm thinking you would get a spotty look) you may have somthing.
How durable is it to dings I wonder. Would it dimple look as if hit with a hammer, or go into dust at that spot.

airrat

interesting idea I am a little shocked it stood up to turning. I have seen the cement board used as backing (not sure if that is the correct term) and I don't think it would have withstood the turning.

Nice job on the pen.

wood-of-1kind

This "new" material is impervious to blow outs. It's very stable and does NOT crumble like gypsum(drywall). I tried to "blow" it by aggressively rough turning. It's tough stuff and I couldn't get it to explode.

It will accept any finish that would normally be applied to wood. I will try to add "dye" to the next, to give more character and colour. I purposely left the skin surface rough to convey the "feeling" of touching cement. Gives it authenticity.:DThis material will not have mass appeal for pen turners but I'll go on record and say that it will revolutionize how homes are built in North America.

Thanks for all the feedback.:)

stolicky

It kinda of looks like a petrified turd. [^]

Hey, if it looks and feels like concrete, there are a lot of engineers out there who might be interested.....

Hey, I'm always trying to find new things to turn, but I have not been too creative yet. I appreciate the sharing of ideas and efforts. That is what this forum is all about...

How is the pricing of this stuff compared to drywall & cement board? Can it be cut with a drywall knife, or are power tools strongly recommended?

Thanks again.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by stolicky

How is the pricing of this stuff compared to drywall & cement board? Can it be cut with a drywall knife, or are power tools strongly recommended?

Thanks again.

More expensive than drywall on a per square foot basis but certainly has it over drywall applications. My next bathroom remodelling will certainly use this product. Drywall knife works to "snap" a line but so far I've used a bandsaw to cut my "blanks".

Top Bottom