Drippings Acrylic Gold Tn Slimline Comfort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

underdog

Here's the latest pen to come off the lathe. Learned a lot on this one, like I should probably always paint the tubes... You can see brass everywhere on this thing.

But also I was able to buff this one down a lot faster than normal. So that's an improvement. Also the fit at the nib is the best I've ever gotten. I can't even feel the transition. I think that's due to having brand new slimline bushings and pointing the nib end to the headstock.

I still can't turn off the acrylic worth beans... But it's only my third acrylic, so I guess I'm not doing too badly..

This is a freebie drippings blank from Exotic on a Gold Tn Fancy Slim w/ Comfort band.

Attachments

• AcrylicDrippingSlimline1.jpg
    AcrylicDrippingSlimline1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 400
  • AcrylicDrippingSlimline2.jpg
    AcrylicDrippingSlimline2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

Nice pen. Those Acrylic ones are a little hard to work with but with patience and time you will get it down. When mine get close to where I want, it does have some pits in it but sands out like it was never there.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good job, Jim!!

"Drippings" is a RhinoPlastic product that is just what the name implies--the "leftovers" from the normal color pours are put into the "drippings" blanks.

So, it is probably best to paint the tubes a "generic" gray primer. Then, when the pen is complete it is a "surprise"!!

Of course, the thinner the material---the more you will see the tubes.

Your use of it to "practice" is a great idea--low cost--- turns nice. Voila!!!

underdog

Still working on getting the waste off as quick as possible, but haven't matched your speed yet Ed. Getting a little better, but I don't think my tools are sharp enough.

How are you getting a fine edge on?

Oh.. and you might jump into the discussion I started about painting the tubes over at the penturning forum.

We're giving this pen to a friend of the family upon his graduation...

Thanks for the encouragement, the tips, and the compliments!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

You actually do get some hints on the color of the blank when you drill. If you watch what color "ribbons" you are pulling off your drill bit---that gives you a hint for the color of the finished pen.

Then paint with a "complimentary" color.

Rick P

I also recieved a drippings blank, mine had a ton of yellows and gold flake to it so I didn't paint the tube or the blank. The reflectivness of the brass tube really made it pop!

Yours looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

ragz

I think it's a great looking pen.

I also think the decision to paint the tubes is very subjective and not always a need. In some cases the brass of the tube can enhance the blank with the exception of very translucent blanks that is.

GregHight

Translucency

Translucency is very easy to keep out of a blank but many blanks we strive to add some amount to it becasue that is what gives the material some depth and really makes the blank pop.

If you ever have a question as to whether you should paint the tube or not, slice a 1/16th inch piece off the end of the blank then place it on the side of a brass tube under a bright light. If you see gold, you will definately need to paint the tube. If you see too much tube shadow you may want to reconsider using that particular blank if it is going to be turned.
RhinoPlastic and other resin/epoxy/plastic blanks should be turned at a VERY high speed with VERY sharp tools. Dull tools make the material hot and slwo speed will cause chipout.

Also for synthetics, use a sharp, carbide tipped drill bit (preferrably) and/or leave about 1/16th inch extra on the bottom of your blanks and expect some chipout when the bit comes out. It's pretty easy to glue your tube in then trim the blank down to the tube. Most kits leave plenty of extra waste so don't try to cut it so close when drilling.

I know those are simple tips for you experienced turners but I hope some of the newer turners find those tips usefull.

Greg Hight
RhinoPlastics LLC

underdog

I glued some painted tubes in yesterday, on the "unchipped" end of the blanks, then once I was done realized I'd let one of the tubes slip into the "chipped" end of the blank... :mad:

Oh well... guess the end trimmer will get a workout on that one...:frown:

GregHight

I glued some painted tubes in yesterday, on the "unchipped" end of the blanks, then once I was done realized I'd let one of the tubes slip into the "chipped" end of the blank... :mad:

Oh well... guess the end trimmer will get a workout on that one...:frown:

That's about as fun as realizing you just glued the tube into the wrong end and it's too late. If it's a slimline, you can always trim the tube town too but you don't have as much leeway on the bottom as you do the top. I have several slimlines from a few years back that have shorter tops than bottoms... lol.

Top Bottom