Drgortex inspired (bamboo ebonite)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I have enjoyed my pen making hobby immensely. I have been inspired by many across the internet world. This one is a direct inspiration from drgortex Ken Carver. I have looked at many similar but his was the first I had saw. It is Cumberland Ebonite made to look like bamboo. It has a fine point Bock nib. Takes cartridges or converter. Comments and critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
null_zps8ce9edf9.jpg

null_zpsb09efb6e.jpg

null_zps77cbc090.jpg

null_zpsa0167e96.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I'm not a super fan of the "bamboo" look. PLEASE DON'T take that personally. I'm just not a fan of anything bamboo. Many will LOVE it, and I commend you on the uniqueness of the piece.

BUT, WHAT DOES BLOW MY SKIRT UP is the sheen on that Ebonite! I've been making ebonite pens FOR YEARS, and I've NEVER EVEN COME CLOSE to the luster of that pen.

Nicely done.

firewhatfire

Thanks for the comments as for as how I finished it with 240, 320 and 400 wet sanding. After that I wet sanded through all of my micromesh colors doing alot of cross sanding. I used Hut plastic polish that I applied with 1/4 of a wool paint roller and cross wiped it with the wool paint roller also. Then wiped it down with paper towel and used a toothbrush to clean the threads.

Phil

drgoretex

Phil, I am flattered by your imitation of my 'Bamboo' design. In fact, you've done a fair job of making the same pattern, even down to the node placement. The finish looks excellent, and the inset ends are well done.

Just for interest's sake, here is a pic of one of my Bamboo style pens in cumberland ebonite from last September, and a link to my blog post:

IMG_7003.jpg

Cavers Custom Pens: Cumberland Ebonite 'Bamboo'

Cheers,

Ken Cavers

firewhatfire

When I saw it the first time, I knew I wanted to try and make one. As you can see it took me a while to get the nerve to try. I still got some fine tuning to do if I am ever gonna do another, I had a piece turned to hold the nib that matched but messed up the internal threads. Didn't have anymore to redo it, thus the black.

Thanks for inspiring us newbies,

Phil

Top Bottom