Dragon Overlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Cast silver dragon overlay on ebonite and sword with red plastic.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• JD4.JPG
    JD4.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 625
  • JD5.JPG
    JD5.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 612
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

OMG! That is friggin awesome! WOW! I love that kind of stuff. Too bad I can't make myself one of those. That is one of the coolest pens I have seen on here. Thanks for sharing that. Very nicely done!

I am VERY jealous. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Russianwolf

Bruce, the silver is awesome. BUT the pen looks very unfinished. The overlay is just sitting there, the pen doesn't look like it was made for it. And the cap, I don't know, just doesn't make sense.

MartinPens

That looks like a lot of hard work! The concept is just awesome and you've done well with it. I know I certainly don't have the craftsmanship to pull something like this off yet, but I have been interested in how it's done. When I first saw it I was reminded of some of the pens in Penworld Magazine. It does have some fine tuning and does have an unfinished look to it - but the unfinished look is kind of midlevel and I like it. Thanks for sharing your work with us. It gets the creative juices flowing. Excellent

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Top Marks Bruce!!! That overlay and sword are fantastic!!:eek::wink:
Just my opinion, but I think it may have benifitted if the overlay and the cap would have met when capped. But I still love it!!:biggrin:

spnemo

I love the dragon overlay but I don't like how it sticks out from the pen body. The cap is well done but it seems really long compared to the pen body. Just my opinion.

ctubbs

Bruce, your creation is outstanding. I realize that this pen is a show pen instead of a daily carry. There are places where you should not even carry that gorgeous pen for fear of starting a riot. That one design, correctly marketed, will make you a comfortable income. Your work is spot on. Congratulations on a job well done. I hope you managed to keep the mold for the sword and dragon.
Charles

vallealbert

You really are an artist...awesome!!!! I would hate to say that, but I see that the center band is too long...however, you are the artist and if you conceived it that way, I respect that. Keep up your excellent work!!!!

wizard

Bruce, That is a beautiful, detailed and creative piece of art !!! As some one that does wax carving of patterns for lost wax casting of jewelry, your wax carving and pattern is IMPRESSIVE!!! The pen is beautiful. Do you send it out for casting? I don't think people understand the incredible amount of work that goes into the process. The fitting of the casting any closer to the barrel would require making the wax pattern on an identical width barrel and sliding it off. That's maybe what you did? The clip is also amazing. What do you do to prevent tarnish? Outstanding work!!!! Regards, Doc

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bruce, That is a beautiful, detailed and creative piece of art !!! As some one that does wax carving of patterns for lost wax casting of jewelry, your wax carving and pattern is IMPRESSIVE!!! The pen is beautiful. Do you send it out for casting? I don't think people understand the incredible amount of work that goes into the process. The fitting of the casting any closer to the barrel would require making the wax pattern on an identical width barrel and sliding it off. That's maybe what you did? The clip is also amazing. What do you do to prevent tarnish? Outstanding work!!!! Regards, Doc

Thanks for the comments Doc - I currently send out my wax for casting to Cranston Casting in Rhode island. They send back a rough cast for finishing. I have done some casting myself in a class, but really don't have room for the equipment and don't do enough to make it worthwhile.

Actually, I could adjust the barrel for a closer fit, which I may do just to see how it looks. Right now, its just a friction fit. With these type of casts, you can never predict the exact shrinkage from the wax model, so I find its better to fit the barrel to the overlay. I start off with a wax tube and use a mandrel to keep it secure while carving.

I don't try to fight tarnish. I learned to accept it and can always touch it up with a quick polish. Some say that a little Renaissance wax will slow it down. There are some tarnish resistant alloys such as argentium that could be used, but I haven't gotten around to trying them. Fortunately, I bought a bunch of silver when the price was lower and have enough to keep me for awhile, so not sure I will be trying the newer stuff anytime soon.

seamus7227

I too have mixed feelings about this(casting looking unfinished) Bruce, however, I realize the process is difficult and there in itself is where I see the inner beauty of the design! Great work and execution of the design, Love the pics!

Top Bottom