Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gus Jr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

builtbybill

Looks good. Be careful with it, they seem to be weak at the coupler.
Yes, mine broke there too easily....thread metal very thin on that coupler. Very disappointing.... PSI did replace it though :)

Did you inspect the new part and if so did it seem sturdier or the same?
Curt

I asked PSI about this failure point and here was the response, about 4 days ago:

We are working to reinforce this part as it is a current area of concern.

Tony
Pen Technician
Ext. 43

Skie_M

Any chance that if there's an upgraded part, they'll send them out to those of us who have ordered the Dragon Pen kits already?

Skie_M

What exactly is wrong with it?

I have one that I've made, and one more waiting in the wings for an order ... the one that I made was just for myself, to show off, so I'm not terribly worried about disappointing a customer with that.

Cwalker935

Is the concern that the threads get crushed during assembly or that the coupler is weak after assembly? I had a similar issue with the threads on a skull pen. Using a wood block with a hole drilled so that it would slip over the threads and that there was no pressure on the threads when pressing in the coupler seemed to resolve the problem.

Jack Parker

I have one that I've made, and one more waiting in the wings for an order ... the one that I made was just for myself, to show off, so I'm not terribly worried about disappointing a customer with that.

The coupler is very thin and weak right below the threads on the coupler. Vulnerable while assembling the components and vulnerable to break after the pen has been completed.

Chromey

The coupler is very thin and weak right below the threads on the coupler. Vulnerable while assembling the components and vulnerable to break after the pen has been completed.

I received the part and looked identical to the first, PSI did not charge me anything. Mine assembled ok the first time and I was careful to use a predrilled block to press. However the threads were so thin they broke upon use and opening and closing. The new part appeared identical, I am very wary of selling it.

Gus Jr

Lucky

I must be very lucky because I have done four dragon pens, sold two already, without any issues with the center ring or threads. Now that I have said that my next one will break! Gus

Skie_M

Still have mine that I made for myself .... took the back off to have a look at that coupler part.

It's worth noting that the end of the coupler where the threads start can be VERY sharp, I just cut myself and ended up with a quick CA band-aid. It's a tiny little half-moon cut on my left index finger .... ouch!

Also, just where the threads end on the coupler, I noticed a small relief cut in the coupler. I'm assuming that's what is causing the breakage. Mine doesn't seem to be excessively weak. I just tried flexing the pen and over-tightening it a bit, and nothing bad happened. I'll keep trusting it for now.

I currently have several pens that are "mine" .... my first pen, my dragon pen, and most recently my first fountain pen. It's just beautiful in deer antler, but I'll need to invest in a 1/2 inch drill chuck if I want to make more large pens. That was nerve-wracking, drilling it out on my drill press.

Top Bottom