Down By The Stream Bed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timebandit

Timebandit

Here is a new one with the new 14mm tap and die. I have been busy on other pens for the contest........oops did i say that....just act like you didnt here that.....and just havent had time to make others. Im not entirely happy with it as i made several mistakes along the way. I thought i had it all figured out and...................well you know the rest. I made a few mistakes, but was able to salvage at least a usable pen, and make it look like nothings wrong:rolleyes: This is Stream Bed acrylic with a #6 Meisternib.

All Comments Welcome

Thanks For Looking

Justin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0584.jpg
    DSC_0584.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC_0585.jpg
    DSC_0585.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 960
  • DSC_0587.jpg
    DSC_0587.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 939
  • DSC_0588.jpg
    DSC_0588.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC_0589.jpg
    DSC_0589.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 943
  • DSC_0590.jpg
    DSC_0590.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 951
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Justin, To be honest the pen looks pretty nice except the loooooong finial doesn't do anything for me.

Why is it dark just above the clip? Are you using some darker material inside to join your finial on?

Timebandit

LOL! Yeah thats 3/4":eek: Probably gonna keep them in the 1/2- 1/4 range.

The finial is just darker because there is so much material left there. You can see through the body and cap when you hold it up to the light, you cant see through the finial. The cap itself is .61 and where the threads are i drilled with 33/64 so thats .5156 form that so there aint much meat left. I only drill 1/2" with the 33/64 and the rest with a smaller bit, so there is more meat up towards the cap as well. Thats why is gets a little darker up towards the finial as well.

Thanks for your input George

Justin, To be honest the pen looks pretty nice except the loooooong finial doesn't do anything for me.

Why is it dark just above the clip? Are you using some darker material inside to join your finial on?

Looks great tome, I have a ways to go before I produce anything of that quality. Is 14mm an industry standard thread or just the one you chose for this creation?

Brian

MarkD

Great looking pen. I do agree that the finial is kinda long :biggrin:
Not being critical but it looks like I can see the threads on the inside of the cap.
I really like the blank...
Regardless, It's a very cool pen. It's motivating me to finish my 1.5" die holder and give the 14MM tap and die a try.

wizard

As usual..a killer pen!!:biggrin:. Really like it. The long finial is an interesting addition to your pens for a reason I initially never gave a second thought to. On the Neon Kitless pen you made for me, the long finial sits higher in my shirt pocket or lab coat and increases the visibility of the pen. It's position makes it look prominent enough that at some point a few of my patients and friends tend to notice the pen even before I pull it out. They ask about it and, at times, it starts a conversation...and on a few occasions... even acts like a sort an icebreaker. Small thing but.....I just thought it was interesting. Justin, thanks for showing. Regards, Doc:)

Timebandit

Looks great tome, I have a ways to go before I produce anything of that quality. Is 14mm an industry standard thread or just the one you chose for this creation?
Brian

The 14mm is just a new tap and die the was purchased in a group buy that was done recently. There is no industry standard for pen threads.

Great looking pen. I do agree that the finial is kinda long :biggrin:
Not being critical but it looks like I can see the threads on the inside of the cap.
I really like the blank...
Regardless, It's a very cool pen. It's motivating me to finish my 1.5" die holder and give the 14MM tap and die a try.

Thanks Brian. As for the threads, i know, and dont mind. And you will find that when you start making kitless pens, that its just the nature of the beast you have to accept when you are using semi-transparent materials. I dont mind it, and looking at many other pens over the centuries plenty of them show the threads. There are two solutions. One is to make the pen so fat that you cant see the threads(not on all materials, some will still be transparent no matter how much material you leave) which i dont like. I like slender pens. Second is to only use Opague materials, which means no transparency at all, but this is only going to limit the choices of material that you can use. I like to be able to use everything and not be limited by my materials. Good luck on your venture into kitless.

Dang purdy pen rite thar!

Thanks you sir:biggrin:

Wow really nice work Justin . Love the blank.

Thanks Lupe. I really like this material to.

As usual..a killer pen!!:biggrin:. Really like it. The long finial is an interesting addition to your pens for a reason I initially never gave a second thought to. On the Neon Kitless pen you made for me, the long finial sits higher in my shirt pocket or lab coat and increases the visibility of the pen. It's position makes it look prominent enough that at some point a few of my patients and friends tend to notice the pen even before I pull it out. They ask about it and, at times, it starts a conversation...and on a few occasions... even acts like a sort an icebreaker. Small thing but.....I just thought it was interesting. Justin, thanks for showing. Regards, Doc:)

Thanks Doc! I actually kind of like the long finial, so i think i will still make them, but also make this pen with smaller 1/2 or even 1/4 finials, just to have more visual options.

The more I look at this pen the more I love the material you used!!

Thanks, i love it to:biggrin:

Wow! That is cool. Nice work.

Thank You:wink::biggrin:

Nickfff

Very nice pen.

I haven"t been on IAP in while. I am seeing some really cool kitless pens.

I want to spend more time building kitless pens. Has anyone put together a kitless tutorial recently?

Dan_F

Justin --- Whereas I generally like a low set clip/high finial, I'm not sure about this one. I don't think it's really the finial though, so much as my eye might want something solid to break up the long expanse of gravel, maybe a cap band and matching thinner ring at the clip junction or close to the top. Might be hard to do and keep the 14mm threads though. Might be worth doing a mockup with black electrical tape for the bands and see what it would do. If it improves the look, you could just use black acrylic bands on the next one, but that would be easier with the the smaller tap and die set, so you would end up with that step in the barrel again. Design can be a b____. :)

This is a nice design overall, just might work better with a blank that has more contrast or clearly defined areas of color, like the one in the Marquee thread (that finial definitely works!), where the orange breaks up the black. You could make that style with the larger tap and die, and this style with the smaller. Then your cap threads wouldn't show so much either, though that doesn't really bother me.

Once loaded with a converter filled with ink, the slightly darker finial may not stick out so much, as the barrel should look darker too. Have you tried it yet?

Dan

Last edited:
Top Bottom