Douglas Fir Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from altaciii

altaciii

I really haven't posted any pens for a while simply because there was no uniqueness about them. This is different.
This wood came with a story, and I am a sucker for a good story. The wood was purchased from one of our own (wolfdancer) and I really liked the colors I saw in the picks. So, what the hell, I purchaced two blanks, (I was lucky enough to get some extra cuttoffs thrown in) and waited to see if any of the other members posted any pics before I decided to turn mine. None showed up so I did mine anyway. It smelled sweet and, the only way I can describe it, is muddy. It has a lot of sap that adhired itself to the sandpaper as I was sanding but held a beatiful shine. The wood is absolutly beautiful this is the forth pen from the group and the first that I have been able to get in front of the camera before it was sold. All comments are welcome good and bad.

Attachments

• river pen douglas fir.jpg
    river pen douglas fir.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 310
  • river pen douglas fir 2.jpg
    river pen douglas fir 2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 444
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Thanks for sharing the pix. I'm still drying mine. Hopefully in another month or three, I'll get back to it. Nicely Done..

Jgrden

Alex:
Did you use alcohol to dry it?? Did you not use CA to prevent clouding? It is truly a wonderful looking pen and I am wondering how to treat sappy pine. We may be moving to a wooded area where there are pines.
John

David Keller

That's really nice looking. I'm glad to see one posted as I've been wondering about those blanks since that auction. Beautiful.

Top Bottom