Doubledyed gold/blue/red maple Cambridge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

It's a revolution here in Ukraine. So not much inspiration to do anything... and also zero pen orders (which are my sole source of income).

But I want to show some of the pens that I've made, but had no time to show before.

So, before all that begun, I've been playing a lot with new stuff. First to show - doubledyed gold/blue/red maple Cambridge.
No, I'm not mistaken. DOUBLEdyed. 2-stage process, three colors(actually, even four, if yellow natural counts:) Guess how?:)

Attachments

• DSC_8716.jpg
    DSC_8716.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC_8712.jpg
    DSC_8712.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_8719.jpg
    DSC_8719.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_8723.jpg
    DSC_8723.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Used an eye dropper to drip red and blue resin and let the wood soak it in as it wanted, cured that and vacuumed the gold in to complete the stabilizing.

OZturner

Yaroslaw,
The Cambridge with Dyed blanks are Spectacular,
The Blanks having a Marble effect complements the Kit superbly.
I support the suggestion provided by Chris (Justturnin) as being the most likely method.
Congratulations,
Brian.

sbwertz

I have wiped dye on a almost finished sanded blank, then sanded most of the color off, and wiped another color on, then sanded most of the color off, then finished. I happened to be using two different colors of wood stain to bring up the color in a pen that had pretty grain but not much contrast. First I wiped on the darker stain, sanded most of the color off, then wiped on the lighter stain, sanded again, then finished. Wound up with a pen that looked like marble.

yaroslaw

Answer is a bit simpler:)

First of all, it was a red flame maple. So it already had splotches of red and almost brown colors. Then, simple double-dyed in blue and gold. Because of the structure of wood blue went only on some parts of burl, then yellow went to other places, leaving red and brown almost intact (yellow is much lighter then this colors). So it was all mostly work of nature and my experiment:)

Thanks for kind words and guesses.

PS as for revolution - we have up to million people in the streets of my city at some days. And we need all international community support right now, as we do not want any more blood...

Top Bottom