Double Solid Body Customized

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Based on some feed back I got about one of my customizations I did before, I tried to concentrate on customizing this pen to fit the kit.

I also was trying to copy a pen I had seen in an online collection that I thought would work well with this kits parts.

This an American Screw Cap Fountain pen made out of Bubinga. Please let me know what you think comment, criticisms and critiques are welcome. I apoligize for the poor quality of the picture, it is really late!

200592182749_BubingaFountain4.jpg

200592182954_BubingaFountain2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Mike, it looks like you've really mastered the hidden clip technique - I love it! Very cool pen! The only thing I don't like is the overall shape - too stark and boring (no offense intended!). If the body or cap had some curviture (e.g., a small flare at the end, and maybe a slight curve that peaks about 1/3 of the way from where the coupler meets the wood on the body), it might be more pleasing to my eye. Of course, this is just my personal taste, so feel free to disregard it!

PenWorks

Very nice job MIke, but one comment I will make and I am guilty of this as well. The pen body looks like a nib on the end of a stick. The yellow bakelite I made reminded me of a yellow popsicle stick with a nib. I think when we add the length to the solid body, we need to add some width to it, to get away from that long pencil look.

edited for grammar and spelling as ussual [:D]

vick

Thanks every one I really appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Billy - I expect to see some Bubinga out of you soon, I know I have plans for some Texas Ebony[:D]

Jim - Absolutely no offence taken, I am a pretty plain guy but I would like to play wit the shape in the future. Their is something about the classic simplicity of this shape that I keep wanting to use it.

Frank - I am not an expert but any help I could give on solid bodies I would be glad to, but if I were you I would probably hit up Anthony or someone else that has a little more experience.

Johnny - I will make a promise that next time I make a hidden (Russ) clip I will take a few picture and do a short tutorial. I was kind of hoping that Russ would write one cause I feal a little strange writing a tutorial on his technique.

Pastorbill - I will try to post a picture closed tonight.

Last but not least Anthony - I hear you Anthony and it is a good suggestion. I over did it on one of my Snap Cap mods and was trying to slim it down. Also with the way the screw cap goes on it actually screws about 1/8 of a turn past the metal coupling. I am worried that if I expand the body the cap will not tighten all the way. I am trying to work with the kits I have for now.

For my next mod I recieved some fountain pen parts from Schmidt that I need to turn into a pen.

http://www.schmidt-feintechnik.de/frames_engl.html

woodscavenger

Nice looking pen but I agree on the comments that the shape needs something different. I would be very interested in a tutorial on the hidden clip. Does this pen have a single start thread or is it like the baron with multiple thread starts? I get tired of the grain not matchin on the Baron. Also, can that pen be made without the CB?

vick

Shane,
I promise next one I do I will make a tutorial. No it is also a 4 start thread. I know Russ made some that are in his PMG albulm where you cannot see the center band. The way the cb works on this pen is alot different than a Baron, the centerband actually presses on outside the tube not inside. If I had to guess you could turn (or grind carefully) off the last of the centerband and have it fit into a steped hole. Basically the same process I used on this I just left off the last 2 rings and fit the metal section into a steped hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom