Double Dyed Burl and LavaFlow Acrylic Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

Made these pens the other day for some clients. This was my first time using a double dyed burl and ended up with some voids in the punky areas. I filled them in with turquoise mineral dust and put an 11 coat thin CA finish before buffing. double dyed burl on a Gold Navigator Rollerball kit.

The other pen a friend wanted it to look similar to a Parker he had seen so I contoured it to give it a similar shape. I used Kirinite Lava Flow acrylic and a chrome Graduate Magnetic. To keep the scratches out of the pearl black I sanded lengthwise through every grit and hit it with a raking light to make sure I had all of the scratches from the previous grit out.

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3487.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Wow, stunning pens. On the dark one...how much time invested in sanding and then lengthwise sanding? Black is so difficult...

lhowell

Wow, stunning pens. On the dark one...how much time invested in sanding and then lengthwise sanding? Black is so difficult...

Thank you!!

It took a little over an hour and a half to go from 180 all the way through 12,000 grit. There were a few times that I had to step down a grit and re-sand because I found scratch marks after using a raking light that I could not get out with the finer grit. I think I even buffed it with plastic polish twice (don't know if the second time made a huge difference) once with the lathe spinning backwards and the second with the lathe spinning forward.

Top Bottom