Double Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KingBubbaTruck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is worth posting, but this is the first one I've done that I dont think I'll disassemble.

It's a bloodwood pen, with cherry crosses.

2006563418_doublecross.jpg

Went to lowes and splurged on a thin kerf blade about 20 bucks. It has about .075 kerf, just a hair or two over 1/16.

Did a BLO/CA finish, I can't seem to do a CA Only finish. I seem to need the lubrication the BLO provides to be able to get the CA to smooth appropriately....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

It looks like you did a good job with the cross. My only comments about it would be that it should be thinner wood and more contrast, the darker wood almost disappears against the bloodwood. Something like maple would provide plenty of contrast. In person, there might be a lot more contrast, but in the photo it looks like it needs more. I know photos can sometimes play tricks but it looks like the nib and finial are proud of the wood. The pen has a very nice shape.

I completely agree with your comments.

I'm not 100% happy with this pen.

The problem I'm trying to work through is how to create a nice, thin kerf, and match it with the inlay (although I'm not sure inlay is the correct term for this technique).

So far, this is the thinnest Kerf (.075) I've been able to get (on the table saw).

I agree with you on the fit. I need to work more on the fit issues.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, Here's another try.

I have no idea what this wood is, as I got it in an assorted bundle of blanks from Chitswood on Ebay (But it really is a nice looking blank). It was cut almost directly across the grain. Very nice for such a light wood.

If you have any idea on why type of wood it might be, I'd appreciate it knowing!

Rockler claimed the darker wood is ebony, but it's a bit browner than a real African BlackWood.

So, I think this gives a little more contrast.

That being said, I still have some minor issues with the fit on this, I think I need to get some new bushings for this model of pen, and that dang 7mm mandrel won't stay true for very long.

The cross is not uniform all the way around the pen, so I have more work to do there.

I'd like to get a thinner filler, so I may need to start looking at using the ole bandsaw and figure out a way for a uniform kerf on that.

But, I'm having fun playing around. It's nice to have a challeng.

20065713338_doublecross_2.jpg

gerryr

I like the contrast on this one and whatever the light wood is looks good with the ebony. The fit at the finial looks better also. If you're having trouble with mandrel shaft getting out of true, you may be tightening the mandrel nut or the tailstock too tight or putting too much pressure on the wood when turning. I've done at least 30 or 40 pens on my 7mm mandrel and it still works fine, so they will last quite a while. You might try turning only one barrel at a time rather than both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom