Double Closed-End w/RE embellishments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin

Padauk wood double closed-end Baron with an extreme Rose Engine embellishment on both ends. Think I like the clip piece design better than the nib end:

REpen_3e.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

I like the other end better. It's a lovely pen, but I kept thinking as I looked over the verious websites and examples that it was going to take a whole lot of pens to pay for the rose engine (or the metal lathe I would need to build my own) AND the legacy mill AND whatever else I buy to make pens.

How much of an increment in the price of a pen to you think RE or other ornamental work adds to a pen that already sells for @ a $100.

Marc

YoYoSpin

Marc,

Thanks...I should be paying extra to have this much fun...rose engine turning is very cool. Normally, I'd retail a plain Baron for $40, a closed-end one for $50 and this one for probably $80. It's all new territory, so we'll have to let it play out for a while to calibrate the market.

bobskio2003

I have to agree with Marc. The top just looks too heavy. Maybe if it was of similar diameter as the bottom the top design might work. I also like the transition between the art work and the straight section of the bottom section.
The rose engine looks like it could be a lot of fun and I'm excited to see what others designs/uses you come up for it. Bob I.

Ligget

A little too busy for me Ed, but glad to here you are enjoying playing with your new lathe, sounds like it is an awesome machine![:p]

Now go play!

Scott

Hi Ed!

I didn't get a chance to comment on your other thread introducing the rose engine work, so I'll comment here.

This is such an incredibly cool embellishment! Good on you! But then you never cease to amaze me! Your work is always fresh and new, and you're always stretching the limits! I remember when you were just a newbie penturner, and you were already way ahead of me! (Yes people, I am old! :D)

As for this particular pen, I think the cap finial end is too much! I think you'll find that a more subtle detail will be more appealing, and marketable. But what fun is 'subtle' when you have a new toy to play with? [8D]

Take care!

Scott.

Aderhammer

Guys that complain about the price, check the advance pen forum, i posted a link there there on how to build your own. Ed, since i'll be doing this eventually, i think you should take very, very light cuts with this, this should be an accent just to make it pop, not a deep set in feature if you are getting what i'm trying to say, once i get my mdf re lathe up and running i guess we'll be learning from each other:D

BigShed

Cool example of the capabilities of the rose engine. Like the others I feel that this is more bout the rose engine than the pen. Looks like a fun thing to do though[8D]

ldb2000

Hi Ed
I love it!!!
Tim said it best "Gothic or Medieval looking"
This thing would sell well at a one of the Medieval Fairs
Glad to see your having so much fun with your new Toy
The only thing I would change is the centerband...seems kinda out of place...I think that a gold or black TI or copper CB would look better or even better a hand hammered sterling or gold centerband and a Hammered clip would top it off

Johnathan

I have got to get one of these. The problem with you having so much fun Ed, is that you could possibly go a little overboard, like in this pen. It's a bit much for me but the work itself looks wonderful.

karlkuehn

Banned
Very intricate, Ed! I think I like the nib end shape better (I like both ends really, but I'm 'Busy-Boy' so that's me). I think if the little 'fins' resolved into a solid round bead before tapering back into the barrel, it'd get rid of a little of the 'jaggedy' look, but I still like the depth of the cuts.

I really like the little off-center faux spiral treatment with the tiny finial on that end, too. I can't wait to see some of your 'rocket ship' desk pen designs that you're going to come up with!

Excellent work.

Overall, an extremely unique piece, and you've got my head roiling with designs that I'd love to try when I get set up with one of those, which will probably be a while, but for now I've got enough of my own 'roil-fodder' to keep me busy!:)

TurnaPen

Hello Ed, I think you are loving your rose machine and experimenting, which is a good thing, this one is bit heavy with the decorations, but I am sure that some beautifully designed pens are going to come in the future, Amos:)

Top Bottom