Double Closed end roller with Desk Bed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

A few have said that some of my pens are to busy. Even though I personally think that the more to look at the better, I do understand that some may like a more subdued looking pen, so I made this closed end desk pen. it is a double closed end chrome roller ball pen done in Honduran rosewood burl with six, what I call windows. They are small diameter tubing consisting of aluminum and copper, filled with colored mica/glitter. there is also a turquoise colored dot on the top of the cap and the tail end of the pen.The pen is turned close to the final size then the windows are filled with mica/glitter powder and Super Glue is applied and sanded then finally polished to a tough durable shine.
I have made for this pen a stand also out of Rosewood with 2 brass connecting rods holding the ends together.
Note: the grooves where the pen will sit needs to have black felt applied still.
Comments bad or good welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpg
    IMG_5424.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5426.jpg
    IMG_5426.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5427.jpg
    IMG_5427.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

ooooo. Love the pen and the holder. It sparks ideas that I haven't considered. How are you doing the holes and keeping them in line? How far in do you drill the holes? Very creative and unique. Great work!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

ooooo. Love the pen and the holder. It sparks ideas that I haven't considered. How are you doing the holes and keeping them in line? How far in do you drill the holes? Very creative and unique. Great work!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

On the pen or the holder? on the pen? I drill all the way through and insert 3/4" long rod and by the time it is turned, there is very little left. On the holder I cut the shape and temporarily Ca the halves together and drill all the way through (though you would not need to) and fill the ends with CA and mica.

wiset1

Don't listen to those who claim these pens are too busy! To be creative and bend the norm is what art and originality is all about. You'll find more and more turners attempting things as a result of your unique efforts here. As for me...I think your work is inspiring and it drives me to bend the same norm in an attempt to design a better pen. Keep doing what you do!!!

Another amazing pen by the way, and the stand is a work of art on its own.

wizard

Brian, That is one very gorgeous pen! Thanks so much for explaining your technique on this thread, Do you make a paste with the CA and mica or just add the mica and put drop the CA on the top? You never cease to amaze. I agree with Tim..I love your creative process and works that are a result of that. Keep it up! It's an inspiration. Regards, Doc

Brian, That is one very gorgeous pen! Thanks so much for explaining your technique on this thread, Do you make a paste with the CA and mica or just add the mica and put drop the CA on the top? You never cease to amaze. I agree with Tim..I love your creative process and works that are a result of that. Keep it up! It's an inspiration. Regards, Doc
Thank you and everyone else for the kind comments.
The mica is put in the holes from the tip of an exacto knife then a drop or two of CA is put on top and poked at to mix it with the mica a little and lastly a small sprits of accelerator.
NOTE: before I put any mica in over or around the wood, I do 1 swipe of CA over the hole blank just to seal it a little so I don`t have to fight with trying to get mica out of every nook and cranny of wood grain.

arioux

Beautifull pen and stand. If i may give one comment, i looks like the pen is chrome plated. Have you consider putting the stand rod the same plating as the pen. But agoian, who care with such a great pen. ;)

broitblat

Great looking pen and stand. Nice finish, too. I really enjoy your work.

Do the tubes present any difficulties keeping the drill bit from wandering when drilling for the pen/kit tube?

-Barry

Great looking pen and stand. Nice finish, too. I really enjoy your work.

Do the tubes present any difficulties keeping the drill bit from wandering when drilling for the pen/kit tube?

-Barry
They have not given me a problem yet. I drill normal until I hear it start to hit metal, then I slow down quite a bit.

Top Bottom